Welcome to week one of our Charming Home Challenge!
(If you’re wondering what we’re talking about , click HERE for details.)
Here is the first zone we are going to “Charm Up” a bit….
That’s Right, we are diving in HEAD FIRST!
Start working on The Triple D’s for this zone, my friends, and don’t forget to take your before and after pictures!
This does not mean we are going to be scrubbing every hard surface (though feel free to do so if you have time and energy!) Our deep clean mission means doing all, some or one of the tasks on the detailed cleaning list below. You will be surprised at how much difference you will make by doing a deep clean of one thing in your kitchen (your fridge, your microwave, one cupboard etc.).
1. EMPTY REFRIGERATOR /CLEAN THOROUGHLY
2. CLEAN MICROWAVE INSIDE AND OUT
3. CLEAN STOVE/OVEN
4. WASH COUNTER KNICK-KNACKS
5. STRAIGHTEN DRAWERS/CUPBOARDS
6. WIPE FINGERPRINTS OFF WALLS
7. WASH INSIDE WINDOWS
8. SCRUB DOWN COUNTERS
9. SCRUB DOWN CABINET FRONTS
10. SWEEP & MOP FLOOR
11. CLEAN UNDER SINK/THROW AWAY OLD RAGS
12. CLEAN PET DISHES
13. SOMETHING EXTRA- every kitchen is unique, pick something not on this list, like organizing your desk or the piece of counter that mail piles usually cover.
Again, this is not an assignment to pull everything out of all cupboards! Choose 1 drawer, 1 cupboard, or 1 pile of “stuff” and de-clutter it! If you want to do more, go right ahead- maybe you will light a fire under me to do the same! I just don’t want you to get burned out and quit this challenge in the first week. Stay with me, take it slow and make it fun!
(My favortie “D” of this process!)
There are a list of options you can do to fulfill this part of the mission, and it doesn’t have to cost a single penny! Here are some options:
- Rearrange what you have already have- the pictures on the wall, small knick knacks, the stuff above your cupboards (this is something I seem to want to change ALL THE TIME!)
- Pull items from other rooms- something might look better in the kitchen or fill that blank spot you have wanted to fill. Look around your house- you might be surprised at what you already have!
- Buy a new picture or paint the frame a different color of one you already have hanging.
- Buy new dish and hand towels or mat for under your sink (Wal Mart has some cute ones for under $10!)
- Look for knick knacks (ie. a utensil holder) at thrift stores or garage sales.
- Update something already existing by painting or recovering it.
…I have been typing without stopping for a while now and ideas keep coming- I could type all day if my kids weren’t climbing all over me!
So to sum it up, spend some time this week to work on making your kitchen just a touch more inviting. I can’t wait to see all you do! Make sure you link yourself to our list, and grab our challenge button for your blog too. Good luck!