Today I have a fun (and EASY!) Christmas tradition that my family loves— a Christmas Lights Scavenger Hunt!
This scavenger hunt is an idea we adopted a few years ago and it has quickly become one of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions. It is a simple way to enjoy your neighborhood Christmas decorations, and see some of the lights you might not have otherwise driven by.
We load the kids in grandpa’s truck and snack on homemade cookies while driving through the neighborhood. Once we are done, we end the night drinking hot cocoa – it doesn’t get any easier than that! Here is how to plan your own night of family fun:
Christmas Lights Scavenger Hunt
- FREE Printable CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
- pen or pencil (1 for each team or player)
- Download and print the free printable scavenger hunt lists. There are 4 pre-made lists in the printable pack and since my kids are still little, I kept the lists super simple! Feel free to adjust the difficulty of this for your group by using the blank sheet at the end. It has spaces for you to come up with your own ideas for older kids and adults. (This would be a fun group date activity or adult game for an Christmas party!)
- Divide into teams and jump in the car!
- Drive through your neighborhood looking at all the Christmas lights and decorations. When you see an item on your list, check it off. The first person/team to get all their items checked off WINS! To make this activity last longer, we usually adapt the rule that you can only mark off one item per house.
… and that’s it!
Here are a few more Christmas traditions you might enjoy: