Freezer Paper Stenciling- From Less-Than-Perfect Life of Bliss
Now that I have met this beautiful thing called freezer paper, I can tell this is going to be the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship. With this method, you can turn almost anything into a stencil. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Start by choosing your pattern & printing it out. It’s better to choose images with thicker lines & simpler shapes rather than thin and complex. You’ll understand why when you do the next step.
2. Take your printout & tape it to the top of the NON-shiny side of a piece of freezer paper. (This is found near the aluminum foil at the grocery store.) I chose a bird on a branch this time. Lay your pattern & paper over a cutting mat or thick cardboard.
3. Next, take an X-acto knife & cut out the design, making sure to cut all the way thru the freezer paper. When you’re done with this, you’ll have your freezer paper stencil.
4. Now use a hot, dry iron to iron the freezer paper to your chosen fabric. Make sure you iron shiny side down.
5. Now you’re ready to paint! Use your favorite color of craft paint & simply paint in the stencil.
Once it’s dry, peel it off carefully & admire the results!
I made my design into a pillow & even embellished it with some fabric leaves that I appliqued into place.
Wife, mom of 5, and creator of Somewhat Simple, Stephanie has a passion to create and inspire. She is an Orange County transplant who is now enjoying life in Phoenix, AZ. She enjoys traveling, shopping, organizing, cooking and creating simple projects for her home and family.
We're a team of creative bloggers with a soft spot for minimalism and simple creativity. Our projects, recipes and lifestyle tips are created with busy moms in mind. We hope to inspire a creative life for all those who stop by. Thanks for visiting, and we'll see you again soon!