Will the groundhog see his shadow when he peeks out of his hole? Grab the kids + a few basic craft supplies and make this cute little groundhog stick puppet for Groundhog’s Day!
This groundhog stick puppet is a perfect afternoon craft to make with the kids. It’s pretty simple for older kids to make on their own and needs only a few basic supplies that you probably have in your craft stash. It would also make a fun project for school to go along with all the cute books for groundhog’s day!
How To Make A Groundhog Stick Puppet
- construction paper – brown, black, green
- plastic or paper cup
- popsicle stick
- googly eyes
- markers or crayons
- Start by cutting a strip of green construction paper that is slightly taller than the cup. And it should be long enough to wrap all the way around the cup.
- Using scissors, snip fridge on one long edge of the green construction paper to make the grass.
- With help from an adult, poke a hole in the bottom of the cup using scissors, making sure it’s large enough for the popsicle stick to fit through.
- Wrap the green construction paper tightly around the cup, taping the two ends together.
- Using the brown paper, black paper, and googly eyes – create the groundhog’s face.
- Add a mouth and some teeth with markers or crayons.
- Attach the groundhog’s face to the popsicle stick by taping it to the back.
- Push the popsicle stick through the hole from the top of the cup to finish your groundhog stick puppet!
The kids can use the puppets to put on a little groundhog’s day play or even take it outside to see if he can see his shadow!
Here are a few more kids’ craft projects you might enjoy:
DON’T MISS A THING!
Sign up for our newsletter to receive our FREE Home Organization Binder Printables + weekly updates filled with creative inspiration and exclusive freebies!