A few years ago my sister, Michelle, introduced me to this recipe for homemade hostess cupcakes that she found on Betty Crocker’s website. I tried it out when we had some friends over and, even though there were only 6 of us there, we somehow managed to put away all 24 cupcakes! Ever since then my husband (who isn’t very big on desserts) always asks me to make them.
• 1 box cake chocolate cake mix (or your favorite cake recipe)
• water, eggs and oil called for on the cake mix box
• 1 cup whipped vanilla frosting
• 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
• 1 cup whipped chocolate frosting
• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
• 2 tsp. corn syrup
• 3 Tblsp. whipped vanilla frosting (for the loops)
1. Bake cupcakes according to directions on package. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, continue to cool on cooling rack for another 30 minutes or until cooled completely.
2. With end of round handle of wooden spoon, make deep, 1/2-inch-wide indentation in center of each cupcake, not quite to the bottom (wiggle end of spoon in cupcake to make opening large enough). You could also use a melon baller to scoop out the middle of the cupcakes, instead of the spoon method. In small bowl, mix 1 cup vanilla frosting and the marshmallow creme. Spoon into small resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut 3/8-inch tip off 1 bottom corner of bag (I used decorating bag and Wilton tip #12). Insert tip of bag into each cupcake and squeeze bag to fill.
3. In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate frosting, chocolate chips and corn syrup uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 15 to 30 seconds longer; stir until smooth. Dip top of each cupcake in frosting. Let stand until frosting is set.
4. Spoon 3 tablespoons vanilla frosting into decorating bag or small resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut tiny tip off 1 bottom corner of bag (I used Wilton tip #5). Pipe loops on each cupcake.
***TIP: When I make cupcakes I ALWAYS use an ice cream scoop like this one to scoop the batter into the cups. It’s less messy and is a good way to get all your cupcakes the same size***