One great way to bring depth and interest to a room is by adding color. I think it’s safe to say that a lot of us are afraid of decorating with color in our homes. We tend to play safe with neutrals, but that’s okay. The perfect way to add color in your home is to start with a neutral base and slowly infuse color as an accent. And the best part? It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money!
Let’s go over five simple and inexpensive ideas to get your started.
1) Paint – This is probably the most obvious way to go about bringing color into a room. Painting your walls is actually relatively inexpensive, but if you really want to save money here’s a tip: paint an accent wall.
Not only does painting an accent wall bring instant color into a room, but it also creates a great focal point without you having to spend a lot of money.
2. Paint Furniture: I sell and write about painted furniture for a living, so this is my favorite way to add color in the home. You can add a pop of color instantly, and without spending a lot of money to do so.
This is also a great idea for those who rent, because quite often painting walls is off limits.
3. Paint the inside of furniture – If you don’t want to paint an entire piece of furniture, try painting part of it. For example, paint the back of neutral bookcase or hutch your accent color, and you will subtly bring that color into the room.
4. Bring in Natural Elements – One of my favorite things to do, especially in the dining room and kitchen, is to add color with natural elements. I love glass jars filled with spices like basil or parsley. Also, a glass jar filled with fruit makes a great centerpiece.
5. Accent Pieces – Finally, one of the simplest ways to bring color into a room is with accent pieces. Add throw pillows, picture frames, vases, etc. in an accent color. This is easy and inexpensive.
What are some of your ideas for bringing color into a room?
I’ll be writing here on Somewhat Simple every month. Come join my Facebook community for more home decor and furniture painting tips!