I used to teach my preschool class the 5 Little Pumpkins finger play every October.Have you heard this before?
5 little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, “Oh my, it’s getting late!
The second one said, “There are witches in the air.”
The third one said, “But I don’t care!”
The fourth one said, “Let’s run and run and run!”
The fifth one said, “I’m ready for some fun!”
Oooooo went the wind and OUT went the lights
And the 5 little pumpkins rolled out of sight!
I remember learning this poem when I was younger, which means it has probably been around forever! We have made various 5 Little Pumpkins props over the years, but this one is my very favorite, and my 3 year old loves it too! Here he is saying the cute little poem. It isn’t 100% perfect ’cause he is only 3, but you get the general idea!
Make your own 5 Little Pumpkins Fingerplay Props:
- Paint: Green, Orange & Black
- Paint Brush
- Round wood table leg (In the woodworking supply section at Lowes)
- Flat piece of wood (wide enough for the “pumpkins” to sit on top of)
- Green Wire (I used THIS ONE from Lowes)
- Paint your wood table legs orange. Let the kids help- they love this part!
- Paint the screw on the top of your table legs green. Let this dry completely.
- Meanwhile, paint your flat piece of wood black.
- Cut about 4-6 inches of green wire and wrap it around the screw of your pumpkins and curl it with your finger to look like a swirly pumpkin stem.
- Place your pumpkins on your “gate” (black wood) and let your kids have fun acting out the fingerplay with your new props!
What do you think?
. . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by Lowes. I am a part of the Lowes Creative Team. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Lowe’s Social & Digital Links
This post originally published in October 2014.