Baby Registry 101 – What parents REALLY need, what products are our favorites, and a free printable baby registry checklist to make sure you get it all!
Here are a few more helpful ideas for new parents –
I love few things more than a squishy, tiny newborn, but despite their itty-bitty size, they require an awful lot of gear. I remember being so intimidated when we went to register while expecting our first baby! What did we really need? Well three babies later, I’m here to share what should be on your baby registry (complete with a FREE printable checklist), suggestions for which products are worth investing in, and a few simple tips we’ve learned along the way.
Baby Registry Checklist – The Essentials
- DIAPERS – First things first, you’re going to need some good diapers – and a lot of them! Everyone seems to have their favorites, so don’t be afraid to try some different brands ’til you have your diaper of choice. I always loved Pampers Swaddlers and Cruisers (not the Baby Dry ones) because they were soft and stretchy. But I wasn’t a fan of Pampers wipes – they were too thin for my liking! My favorite wipes were Huggies with Aloe or the Parent’s Choice store-brand from Walmart.
- BLANKETS – Swaddle blankets are another registry must-have. My favorites are the bamboo muslin blankets. They are ultra-soft but still breathable and lightweight.
- PACK-N-PLAY – I would also recommend registering for a Pack N’ Play with a removable bassinet. Bassinets are darling, but they are a pain to store once your little one has grown out of it. A travel crib like a Pack N’ Play allows you to still have baby close but is also functional as they grow and they are much easier to store.
- Onesies – My babies lived in onesies, and when they are newborn, they could go through multiple a day with all the spit and explosions they had!
- Infant Carseat – You can’t leave the hospital without it!
Baby Registry Checklist – Our Favorites
- ZIPPERED PAJAMAS – Repeat after me, “zippers, zippers, zippers!” Nothing is worse than trying to match up all those tiny snaps at 2am!
- NURSERY LAMP – Do yourself a favor and register for a nursery lamp and a low watt lightbulb. It’s so much easier in the dead of the night to turn on a soft lit lamp versus a glaring overhead one.
- BOOKS – Cloth activity books and board books are also great registry items. Family and friends love sharing their favorite children’s books, making them a great gift!
- TOYS –Teething and grasping toys are durable and easy to toss into your diaper bag as you head out the door.
Baby Favorite – Where to Splurge
- TRAVEL GEAR vs. CLOTHES & FURNITURE – When considering where to save and where to splurge on baby items, our approach is to spend extra on quality travel items and save money on items like nursery furniture and clothing. In my opinion, car seats, strollers, carriers, etc. are all worth investing in. Higher quality car seats often mean a more practical design and extra safety features. A well-made stroller will often steer and push easier, fold down to a more compact size, and last for years. And a higher-end infant carrier will be much more comfortable for you and baby. Plus they often accommodate for a greater weight range – meaning you can use it for longer!
Baby Registry Checklist Printable
As you build your baby registry be sure to print off a copy of this handy Baby Registry Checklist to keep you organized as you prepare for the arrival of your little one!
Leave us a comment below and tell us what items you have on your must-have baby list!
We wish you all the best during this exciting time!