Grab some pillows and blankets, download these darling free printables, and start making memories at your family reading night!
I’ve always loved reading. Whether on my own, or listening to someone, it has been one of my favorite pastimes. However, with all the technology available to my kids these days, I feel like they don’t quite appreciate (or love) a good book as much as I do.
I racked my mom-brain to come up with a way to spark some reading interest and I decided to create a little party – a little Family Reading Night Activity. Of course it had to be super simple, because I’m
lazy a minimalist, and they had to be colorful and eye-catching to grab the interest of any child. And it had to be cute, because let’s be honest here. I’m obsessed with cute. 😉
FAMILY READING NIGHT ACTIVITY KIT
What I love most about this activity, is that you can go as low-key, or over-the-top as you feel up to!
- Paper sacks
- Cellophane bags
- Washi tape
- Family Reading Night Activity Free Printables (download at end of post)
- Cut out your labels.
- Place your snacks in the bags.
- Seal the bags with tape, then attach the corresponding label to the front.
- Attach your drink label and DRINK ME label to your drink.
- Attach the EAT ME label onto the front of the paper sack and fill:
- Replace the paper sacks with a darling bucket or basket.
- Replace the cellophane bags with snack-sized baggies or even just purchase individual snack packs and just tape or staple the labels right onto those.
- Washi tape is for cuteness, but I deeply considered just using a darn stapler.
- Drink: I loved the idea of a matching green drink, but you could just use a water bottle – maybe even attach those individual drink powder packets to the side. Or even cut the label down to fit around a juice box.
MOWGLI COOKIES: animal cookies or crackers.
SNOW’S APPLES: apple slices, candy apple rings, dried apples, or tie a string around a whole apple stem and attach the tag to that.
HANSEL + GRETEL’S CRUMBS: granola, trail mix, cereal, chex mix, etc.
JACK’S BEANS: jelly beans, corn nuts, m&m’s, etc.
TINK’S PIXIE DUST: pop rocks, pixie sticks, fun dip, etc.
- Buffet style: buy everything in bulk, set them out in large bowls with these labels sitting in front.
Now, you can just have everyone read their own books, read to them yourself, OR (my favorite option) let Audible do the reading! My voice gets a little sore reading out loud after a while, so I love the idea of sitting back and enjoying a good story with my kids! Audible is a leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet, and there’s definitely something for everyone /every family!
Our family picked Alice In Wonderland, since I’m huge on reading the book before seeing the movie. And how can you go wrong with this classic? This version was narrated by Scarlett Johansson, and she does a fantastic job! From the White Rabbit and Mad Hatter to the Cheshire Cat and Queen of Hearts, she portrays each character with a distinct voice and personality that made the story really come alive!
Some other books we’ve added to our “listening” list are The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, The Wizard Of Oz, The Snow Queen, and the Percy Jackson series. Also, this December I’m really looking forward to listening to The Christmas Carol, narrated by Tim Curry. Because, Tim Curry.
Audible is perfect for this Family Reading Night Activity, but also works well for road trips! And so do these printables – with just a little prep work, you’ve finally got that pleasant car trip you’ve dreamed about. 😉
Still not sure if Audible is right for you? Then their 30-day Free Trial offer is perfect for you! PLUS you get a free audio book just for trying it out!
So go. Download these Family Reading Night Activity Free Printables. Get your supplies. Grab the family. Start your Free Month Trial with your Free Audio Book. And then “call me when you get back, darling. I enjoy our visits.”
*Disclaimer: These Family Reading Night Activity Free Printables and all of Somewhat Simple’s printables are for personal use only. They may not be mass-distributed, claimed to be your own, or sold in your shop. If you have any questions about this policy or need special permissions, please email us- we are super nice!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Audible. The opinions and text are all mine.