More and more people are starting their days by drinking warm water with lemon. Lemon water is not only the poor man’s oral-freshener, but it also cleanses your system internally and helps manage weight gain. Intrigued? Today we are going to share with you 5 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water.
It is important to note that the water should be lukewarm and not cold. This is because cold water cannot easily pass through your digestive tract, and the juices of lemon will not be absorbed. Also, follow a balanced diet and workout regularly to achieve better results.
- Activates Metabolism: Lemon water has a similar chemical composition to saliva and the hydrochloric acid in digestive juices. It encourages your liver to secrete bile that is required for digestion. It increases your metabolic rate and ensures quicker breakdown of food to produce usable energy. Also, increased bile secretion from liver requires Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) for its production. Thus, the ‘bad cholesterol’ in your blood is also kept in check by your daily intake of lemon water.
- Acts As A Detox: Lemons invariably increase the number of bathroom breaks you have to take. The upside, however, is that it helps flush out toxins and cleanses your gut. The citric acid in lemons also facilitates the secretion of enzymes in the liver that aid in toxin removal. Also, the citric acid is anti-bacterial in nature and helps kill germs that can induce acne. It oxidizes free radicals and prevents cellular damage. Thus, including lemons in your diet will give you healthy skin.
- Helps In Weight Loss: There are conflicting arguments regarding the belief that lemons contribute to weight loss. Most nutritionists believe that lemons do not directly contribute to weight management, but they contain the fiber pectin that helps fight hunger pangs. Drinking lemon extract in lukewarm water keeps you full for longer, without adding any calories. Thus, your food intake is regulated, and your calories checked! It is a good replacement to coffee with saturated sugars or simple water. Also, vitamin C present in lemons will ensure that you burn the stored fats quickly.
- Strengthens Your Immune System: Vitamin C in lemons helps fight colds, reduces phlegm and boosts immunity. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is used as a support for respiratory disorders. It also facilitates iron absorption that is required for oxygen transportation. Lemons contain potassium that activates brain and nerve functioning as well as helps regulate blood pressure. They also help in the removal of uric acid that is mostly responsible for joint pains and inflammation. It maintains your blood pH owing to the presence of citric and ascorbic acids. Ascorbic acid also promotes healing and maintenance of bones, cartilages and other connective tissues like ligaments.
- Relieves Bad Breath: Citric acid present in lemons helps relieve toothaches as well as gingivitis. It also reduces bad breath by killing the germs in your mouth and by adsorbing bad odor from the decay of food particles inside your mouth. However, it is capable of eroding the enamel of your teeth, so make sure you brush your teeth after you have had lemon water.
Have I convinced you yet to drink a glass of lemon water each morning?
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below!
. . . . .
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Vineetha Reddy is a regular practitioner and adviser of everything related to nutrition, fitness, health and wellness and has begun to write and contribute to this knowledge ecosystem. She believes strongly that the organic food you find in your pantry provide the best benefits for good health. Follow her on TWITTER for her best ideas and solutions.