Who doesn’t love a good advent? The kids look forward to doing one every year, and I’ve always struggled on which one to make, because I could never find one that really matched my style. And then I discovered some little round party favor tins at Party City and my life was drastically changed forever. (cue sappy, feel-good music)
I love the simplicity of the design, and how functional it is – I hang mine on my fridge, but you can use a cute magnetic board as well! And we’ve got 2 sets of color options, so this is a project that will work for everyone!
And if you’re not big on candy and small treats, haven no fear! We love filling our advent with a small activity or service we can do together each day. Things like:
- read a Christmas book
- bake a Christmas treat for a neighbor
- drive around and look at Christmas lights
- send a Christmas card to a far away friend
- decorate the Christmas tree
(All of our ideas are in a free printable download below if you’d like some ideas!)
magnetic advent calendar
- Advent calendar printables (download below)
- 2″ circle punch (optional, but makes life so much easier)
- Magnet strip or small magnets
- Round tin party favor kit
- Candies and/or other fillers
- Advent activities (optional – download below)
- First, print off your advent circles. (I take mine to a print shop to make sure the colors are vibrant, but I did notice they printed a little darker than I originally designed them as.)
- Using a 2″ punch or scissors, cut out your circles.
- Using scissors, cut strips of magnets to add to the back of the tins. I used the adhesive magnet strips to make this project super simple, but you could use any magnet and attack with hot glue.
- Place a circle in each lid, fill with candies, or small toys, add an advent activity if you wish, and then close the tin!
- Put your tins in a cute tree shape or just in lines on your fridge or magnet board, and start counting down to Christmas!
You don’t need to glue or tape your circles into the lids as long as you make sure to fill the tin with something – the bulk of the candies or toys will be enough to keep it against the clear plastic.
These would also make a cute gift to give a friend, family member, or neighbor! A little time and not much money, and you’ve got a super cute magnetic advent calendar to enjoy the whole season!
Ready to make your own?
Click the links below to download your desired files –
And there you have it! Happy crafting!
Our readers also enjoyed these posts:
Hack Your Routine!
5 Time-Saving Tips for Crazy Busy Moms