Poached eggs are a healthy breakfast dish that are a good source of protein. They’re delicious all by themselves and versatile enough to add to several other tasty recipes. We’ll show you three different ways to poach an egg so them perfectly every time!
What Are Poached Eggs
A poached egg is one that has been cooked outside of the shell by poaching rather than boiling them in water while still in their shell. Perfectly poached eggs have clean whites and they maintain liquid golden yolks. They can be served for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner and they make a great topping on toast, pastas and salads!
How to Make Poached Eggs
There are multiple ways you can poach an egg. We are going to show you how to do it using these three different methods; on the stove top, in the oven and in the microwave. The first way to do this is the traditional method using a pot of boiling water. You simply need to do the following:
- Using a small pot, fill it halfway with water
- Add two teaspoons of vinegar and a dash of salt
- Place the pot over medium heat and wait for it to simmer
- When the water begins to simmer, crack an egg and place them in a small bowl or ramekin
- Gently slip the egg into the water
- In about 30 seconds the egg white will enclose the the egg yolk
- Let the egg cook for 2-3 minutes and then remove it from the water with a slotted spoon
Microwave Poached Eggs
Another easy way to make poached eggs is to make them in the oven. To make them this way, follow these easy steps:
- Place 1/3 cup of water and 1/8 teaspoon of vinegar into a 6 ounce cup and mix them together
- Crack an egg and place it gently in a cup to ensure that you don’t break the yolk
- Lightly cover the cup in plastic wrap
- In 20 second intervals, cook the egg for 60 seconds or until the egg has reached your desired consistency
How To Poach Eggs In The Oven
The last way to poach an egg is in the oven. This method is just as simple as the rest.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil on the stove
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of boiling water into each cup of a muffin tin
- Crack a large egg into each tin
- Pour an additional 2 tablespoons of boiling water on top of each egg
- Bake in the oven for 6 minutes
Items Used To Poach Eggs
More Easy Recipes That Use Eggs
- How To Hard Boil An Egg
- Omelet Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Sausage Biscuit Casserole
Easy Poached Egg Recipes
Now you have three easy methods for preparing this healthy dish. Leave us a comment below and let us know which recipes you used with your poached eggs or tag us on social media because we love to see what you’ve been up to in the kitchen!
Poached Eggs Recipe
These three recipes will show you how to poach an egg on the stove top, in the oven and in the microwave
Stove Top Poached Eggs
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- Dash of salt
- 1 Egg
Microwave Poached Eggs
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Cold water
- 1/8 tsp White Vinegar
Oven Poached Eggs
- 2 cups Water
- 6 Eggs
On The Stove Top
Add enough water to a small pot so that it is about half full.
Add two teaspoons of vinegar and a dash of salt.
Place the pot over medium heat and wait for the water to simmer.
As soon as the water is simmering, crack two eggs into a very small bowl or ramekin.
Gently pour the egg into the water and wait for the magic to happen. After about 30 seconds, the egg white will enclose the egg yolk.
After about 2-3 minutes total of cooking time, remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon.
In The Microwave
Place water and vinegar in a 6 oz cup and mix well
Gently crack egg into cup making sure not to break the yolk
Lightly cover in plastic wrap
Microwave for 60 seconds in 20 second intervals or until your desired consistency has been reach
In The Oven
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F
Boil water in a small pot
Pour 2 tablespoons of boiling water in each tin of a muffin tin
Crack and place an egg in each cup of the muffin tin
Pour an additional 2 tablespoons of water over each egg
Bake in the oven for 6 minutes