Grab a few simple supplies and get ready to create a darling little scarecrow! This simple scarecrow craft is the perfect art project to do with your kids this fall!
Here are a few more fall crafts and activities we love – Painted Leaves, Pumpkin Decorating Ideas, and Glitter Acorns.
A Fun Fall Craft For Kids
If you’re struggling to find a fall art project fun for your students or for your little ones at home, this scarecrow craft definitely fits the bill! I’ve made these with first graders and 3rd graders and both age groups did great and had a lot of fun!
These scarecrows are super easy to make and the kids can easily customize them however they like. Here are a few examples from the 3rd grade class that we made last week. As you can see, they all turned out differently and they’re all so adorable.
Scarecrow Craft Supplies
- Jumbo Craft Sticks
- cardboard (We used cereal boxes cut into 5″ x 3.5″ rectangles.)
- white glue
- craft foam: 1 rectangle for the hat, 1 small strip as the hat ribbon and 1 small triangle for the nose.
- googly eyes
- glue dots (optional)
- marker or crayon
- flower stickers (optional)
How To Make A Scarecrow Craft
- Lay out 5 jumbo craft sticks side by side and and glue them down on top of the piece of cardboard.
- Glue raffia to the top of the craft sticks in a messy fashion to create the scarecrow’s “hair”.
- Make your hat: Cut your foam rectangle to the shape of a hat (any shape is fine!). Glue down the strip of foam to the hat and add flower stickers if you’d like.
- Glue your hat to the top of the raffia. (This is the last piece that usually dries, so tell the kids to put a good amount of glue on the rafia, push the hat down firmly, then leave it alone- it will harden, I promise!)
- Add your face: Glue down 2 googly eyes, or use the glue dots. Glue down the rectangle nose. Draw a smile with a crayon or marker.
AND YOU’RE DONE!!!
This scarecrow craft is easy, fun and cheap – can’t beat that!!!
More Fall Art Projects
Fall is such a fun time for kids to make adorable art projects in home or school. Here are a few more of our fall favorites.
- Halloween Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Spider Webs Made With Craft Sticks
- Halloween Door Hanger Coloring Sheet
- Masking Tape Mummies
- Build Your Own Monster Printable
I’m not crafty and I’m trying to figure out if my son’s 1st grade class could do this at a fall party. Can you tell me the dimensions of the hat?
Thank you for sharing this craft project. I will be using it with the ladies from our local nursing home. I appreciate it very very much!!
You’re very welcome Linda! Have a great weekend!
Oh my gosh this is so cute. It won’t be on my Lesson Plan this year but I think I am going to use it for a rainy day activity. Thanks so much!!!
So cute! I just discovered a box full of craft sticks in a closet. This would be a great project for them!
Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party
Thanks T’Onna, I appreciate you stopping by!
So cute! This would make a great craft for kids. I know my kids would like it and our entire softball team would too. Hey, I recently started a new linky party on Scrapality. I would love for you to visit and link up. Have a wonderful weekend.
I love it. It is a great craft for the kids to make and then you can use it as a decoration and it would look nice!
Thanks for stopping by AmieJo!
So cute! Definitely trying with my kids! Thanks for sharing! Pinning
Thanks Michelle, I am glad you like this idea!
Stephanie, this is absolutely adorable! Visiting from Tidy Mom and pinning! Have a happy Friday and weekend!
Thanks Cindy! I appreciate you stopping by!
These are so very cute and look like a very quick and easy way to add some fall decor to the house! I’m featuring your post on my Saturday Six Pins post today 🙂
Thanks Alison! That is so nice of you!
So stinkin cute!
This is super cute… Pinning 🙂
So super cute!!! Love it!!
Cute, fun, simple – great idea!
pk @ Room Remix