These darling pencil vases are perfect for teachers and make a great back to school gift idea! They are easy to make and affordable too! The perfect way to start a new school year!
Fun + colorful back to school gift idea
Send your kids back to school with a thoughtful gift for their new teachers!
My kids go back to school next week – I can’t believe summer is over already! This year for meet the teacher night, we are bringing these fun flower vases covered in pencils with a small box of homemade chocolate chip cookies – ’cause treats and fresh flowers are always a good thing, right?
I love how simple this gift is. It takes all of 10 minutes to put together, and each kid can make their own! (Seriously, my 4 year old made one with minimal help from me!
This back to school gift idea would also be great to give to neighbors and friends!
Here are some more back to school gift ideas you’ll love:
back to school gift idea
- vase or jar (I used an old spaghetti sauce jar!)
- rubber band
- colored or regular pencils
- Put the rubber band around your vase or jar so it is nice and snug. You might want to wrap it twice (or more!) depending on the size of your vase and the size of your rubber band.)
- Stick the pencils under the rubber band all around the vase.
- Tie a ribbon around the vase to hide the rubber band.
… and you’re done!
Love how both of these turned out!
Hope you all have a great school year!
This post originally published on Somewhat Simple in August 2009 and was updated in 2018 with new images