This scrap fabric bookmark tutorial is an easy craft for children that is fun to do and will encourage reading!
My SIL, MIL and I made these with the kids on New Years while our husbands watched football all afternoon! (Yes, this is easy enough for the kids to do- with supervision, of course!)
How To Make Scrap Fabric Bookmarks
- interfacing, such as Pelon
- sewing machine
- pinking shears
- match or lighter
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric into whatever size you want your bookmark to be.
- Cut 2 pieces of interfacing to be the same size as the fabric.
- Fuse the interfacing to the BACK side of both fabric pieces by following the manufacturer’s directions. (Mine just had to be ironed for a few seconds!) This will give you bookmark some strength and durability.
- Place you fabric pieces together, right sides facing out. Stitch around the entire perimeter of fabric, leaving a small opening at the top to insert your ribbon into.
- Using pinking shears, pink the raw edges all the way around.
- Insert some ribbon into the opening at top of bookmark, then stitch to seal. Fray check your ribbon by burning the edges.
And there you have it!
(This post originally published in February of 2010)