I have an amazing recipe for sugar cookie bars. These bars are maybe even better than regular sugar cookies because they’re thick, soft, covered in a delicious frosting, but instead of rolling them out and cutting them into shapes (which I admit, can be pretty fun!) you just have to put the dough into a baking pan, flatten it and bake, and then its much easier to frost them too. So much simpler and less time consuming and like I said, still completely delicious.
The base of the cookie bars is adapted slightly from this recipe from High Heels and Grills and then I adapted the frosting recipe from my own sugar cookie recipe (that I got from my mother in law) because its the best I’ve ever had. Its got a strong vanilla flavor, and is simple to make and so smooth. Seriously delicious!
One great thing about sugar cookies, or these sugar cookie bars is that they can be made for any occasion. If you just want a treat then they’re great for that, but because you can so easily change the color of the frosting these bars are perfect for any holiday or special occasion. Like this green frosting I made, takes just 4 drops of green food coloring added to the frosting and now they’re perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, or just for a fun spring treat!
Are you ready for the easy recipe?!
Sugar Cookie Bars
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 TBS sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 TBS unsalted butter, softened
3 TBS milk
1 TBS vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a medium sized bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
4) Add in your egg, sour cream and vanilla and mix till combined.
5) Slowly add in your flour mixture while stirring until everything is combined. (The dough will be crumbly)
6) Press the batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish and spread it out evenly with your hands or a rubber spatula.
7) Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges just barely start to turn golden.
8) Allow to cool completely.
9) Mix together all your ingredients for your frosting until creamy.
10) Add in desired amount of food coloring.
11) Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookie bars.
12) Cut into squares and serve.
Cookie lovers, you might like these cookie recipes too: