Welcome to Week 4 of the Summer Declutter. We’ve got one more week to clean a hot spot in our homes, so let’s get started! (If you’re wondering what we’re talking about, click HERE for all the details.)
This Week’s Assignment:
- Download the free Summer DeClutter Checklist HERE
- Choose 4 areas in your home to declutter and write them down in the 4 hot spot blanks (some suggestions: an area or two in your kitchen, paper clutter hot spot, a closet or cabinet, clothing….)
- Complete your first week’s Summer Declutter Hot Spot by following the 4 steps and checking them off as you go.
Some Inspiration For ‘Ya…
This week my hot spot is my kitchen bill paying “center” – also known as where the paper gets stashed. I have created a system that works for us for organizing the paper clutter, but life has gotten busy, and a couple piles have emerged. So, I turned on a favorite show, poured some lemonade and got to work. Easy and breezy.
- I started by emptying the space. I moved everything over to the kitchen island to give me a little more room to spread out.
- I then started to sort and toss the papers. This works the best and quickest when you just start with two stacks – stuff to toss/shred and stuff that needs to be kept. Then I grouped all the papers together that needed a new home. I have a folder for paid bills and other papers that need to be kept through the year – categorized by month for easy access. I keep more than I need to through the year, but at the end of the year I purge this folder – I like having a paper trail if necessary.
- Finally I put away all the papers. I like to have a little mailing and bill paying station on my counter, but I do hide it in a cabinet if guests are coming over.
I hope this little decluttering workshop has been fun and helpful for you. Cleaning, decluttering and organizing can be fun if you plan for it to be a relaxing task. I’d love for you to stop by and visit me any time at Clean Mama!
After you’re done, pat yourself on the back! You’ve just completed our challenge! 4 Weeks, 4 Hot Spots! Do you feel good?!?!
About the Workshop Author:
Becky is the go-to-gal for all things clean! She is a former elementary art teacher, who incorporates art and craftiness into every place she can. Her blog, Clean Mama, is full of crafty, cleaning and organizing fun!
The Summer DeClutter Workshop originally published in 2010 on Crazy Domestic. We still love the idea so much that we decided to update and republish the entire series right here on Somewhat Simple each Thursday in July- enjoy!