Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches are my new favorite summer treat!
These tasty little treats are a result of Disneyland daydreaming and a resolve to make our very own homemade churro ice cream sandwiches. And Guys, you will NOT be disappointed — promise!
Start by making your dough.
And piping it onto parchment in preparation for deep frying…
… and a delicious coat of cinnamon and sugar.
Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream (salted caramel anyone?!) and enjoy!
Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- ice cream of choice
- featherweight piping bag
- Wilton 18 piping tip
- parchment paper
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup of sugar and one and a half teaspoons of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium pot combine water, remaining sugar, salt, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the flour with a rubber spatula.
- Continue to stir until a sticky dough comes together and work until there are no clumps.
- Fit a pastry bag with Wilton 18 star piping tip.
- Fill the pastry bag with your prepared dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pipe 2-3 inch diameter circles onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10-12 minutes. The dough shouldn’t be frozen but less sticky.
- While the dough is setting in the freezer, heat the two quarts of vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 360-375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- When ready carefully place two circles of dough into the oil and fry until light golden brown, flipping half-way through. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place cooked churros onto lined plate.
- Toss each churro in the prepared cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Once the churros are cooked, assemble by topping one churro with a scoop of ice cream and topping it with a second churro. Press them together gently to create a sandwich.
Churro recipe from: Just a Taste