Tater Tot Casserole is a kid-friendly meal that is easy to make. It’s classic comfort food that is hearty, savory, and totally delicious!
Now that we’re in the post-Christmas gloomy part of winter, I am totally in the mood for comfort food! When it’s gray and dreary outside, there’s nothing better than a warm and hearty meal to make things feel a little brighter. This tater tot casserole is exactly that!
It’s so savory and filling, and totally delicious. I love that it’s so easy to put together but still tastes great. It’s a family favorite at our house! My kids are constantly asking me to make it, which makes dinner time pretty easy. It’s easy to make and I know they’ll love it. This tater tot casserole recipe really is the best!
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
Brown It – To make this tater tot casserole, you’ll start by browning the ground beef. I usually use lean ground beef, but feel free to use whatever type is your preference. Once the meat is cooked, you’ll want to drain it if needed.
The Sauce – First, you’ll melt the butter and then stir in the flour until it has a paste-like texture. Next, you’ll whisk in the milk and cook it until it thickens. Don’t forget to stir in constantly while it’s cooking so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. It’s really easy to whip up this creamy sauce to serve as the base of your casserole. The homemade sauce is totally delicious and blends all of the flavors together!
Compile – Next, you’ll mix the sauce and ground beef together, then add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Spread the meat mixture in a 9 x 9 baking dish, then sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
Give Me Some Tots – Finally, add a layer of tater tots over the top of the meat mixture until you’ve covered it completely. You don’t have to line them up as neatly as I did, of course, but you’ll want a solid layer of tots on top.
Cook – Bake the tater tot casserole for 50-55 minutes, until the tots are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
This casserole is best when it’s hot from the oven, with the tots crispy and the cheese melty and gooey. It’s simple and delicious comfort food! My kids sometimes turn up their noses at vegetables, but they will eat them happily in this casserole. That’s a win in my book! This tater tot casserole is so delicious that you’ll want to eat it all through the colder months! If you’d like a breakfast version of this recipe, try our delicious Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole.
Recipe Tip – I prefer taking a block of cheese and grating it to use in this recipe. First, I don’t like the additives that are in a bag of pre-shredded cheese. I just love the flavor so much more and nothing beats that long stretch of cheese when you cut off a bite and eat it.
More Easy Casseroles Recipes
- Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
- The Best Ham & Potato Casserole
- Croissant Omelet Breakfast Casserole
- Simple Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 12 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, crumbling into small pieces, until browned and cooked through. Drain if necessary.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir to make a paste. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring frequently, and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream sauce into the skillet with the ground beef and stir to combine. Add the frozen vegetables and stir until combined.
- Pour the beef and vegetable mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top. Layer the frozen tater tots over the top of the cheese, covering the entire surface.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, until the tater tots are crisp and browned and the sauce is bubbling.