This cheesy and delicious taco casserole is a fun new twist on an old favorite! It’s packed with flavor, and so easy to make!
An Easy Mexican Casserole
Tacos are one of my absolute favorite foods, and I could probably eat them every day and never get sick of them. They’re one of my go-to dinners when nothing else sounds good, and I love that I can whip them up at a moment’s notice and everyone will enjoy them!
With the weather starting to get cooler, my family has been craving more cozy casseroles, and I thought it would be really fun to make a taco casserole so we could enjoy some of our favorite flavors in a new and delicious way. The result was even more tasty than I was anticipating, and it has quickly become a family favorite at our house! I used ground beef in this recipe but you can easily substitute it for chicken if you prefer the flavor of chicken tacos.
How to Make Taco Casserole
Saute The Onions – First, you’ll want to heat the two teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the skillet and cook them until they’ve softened.
Where’s The Beef – Next, add the ground beef and cook it until it turns brown. You’ll want to make sure you break up the chunks of beef and stir occasionally, so the meat cooks evenly.
Homemade Seasoning – I like to make my own taco seasoning with cumin, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper, and it adds so much flavor to the meat. I also threw in some black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes to create a blend of delicious flavors. Once you’ve added all of the ingredients, bring the pan to a simmer and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
Assemble The Taco Casserole – To assemble, just scoop a little of the meat mixture into the bottom of your baking dish, then layer four tortillas over the top. If you want to try making homemade flour tortillas, they’re extra delicious. Add 1/3 of the remaining meat mixture, then sprinkle with cheese. Repeat the layers twice more, so there are three layers of tortillas, meat, and cheese in total.
Bake – From there, put the taco casserole in the oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees F. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the casserole has been heated throughout. The cheese should be melted and bubbly so you’ll have a delicious pan of cheesy, melted goodness!
Toppings – We like to top the casserole with all of our favorite taco toppings, like sour cream, homemade salsa, tomatoes, green onions, olives, and avocado. It’s a tasty and flavorful meal that my whole family loves!
More Easy Mexican Recipes
- Homemade Chicken Taquitos
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos
- Easy Mexican Horchata Recipe
- Tamale Pie Casserole
- Enchilada Style Bean Burritos
The combination of flavors in this taco casserole is amazing! I love that it has everything I love about tacos, but in casserole form. It also makes great leftovers, and my husband is always the envy of all of his co-workers when he brings these leftovers to work. Leave us a comment below and let us know if you were the envy of all your co-workers too!
Taco Casserole Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- for serving: sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, olives, avocados, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the skillet and cook until softened. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through. Add the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper, and mix until well blended.
- Add the black beans, sweet corn, and diced tomatoes to the skillet, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and simmer 5-10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in the bottom of the baking dish, then layer four tortillas on top. Spread 1/3 of the remaining meat mixture over the top, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Layer four more tortillas over the cheese, then spread 1/3 of the meat mixture over the top, and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat the layers one more time (for three layers total), finishing with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve hot with sour cream and the taco toppings of your choice.