Navajo tacos are a southwestern treat that you have to try. Piled high on Indian fry bread with seasoned grounded beef, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream and anything else you’d like to add. This easy Navajo taco recipe uses a shortcut method for Indian fry bread so they’re ready to serve in no time!
Several years ago, a few Native American women from the Pima Indian tribe taught the ladies in our church how to make delicious Indian Fry Bread. You can use it for anything from Navajo tacos to eating it plain. It is that AMAZING! If I could guarantee yummy results every time I made it, I would make it every week. The problem is, I can’t bake to save my life and I hate investing time and ingredients to be disappointed.
That’s when my dear friend introduced me to an EASY way to get the same flavors and the same results in no time at all and you cannot mess it up– for reals! You can top these babies with honey, jam or powdered sugar, OR you can use them in this EASY Navajo Tacos Recipe. Here is how:
How To Make Indian Fry Bread
- Rhodes Rolls
- Vegetable Oil
- Heat a small pot of oil on the stove. You’ll want it to be about 3-4 inches deep- just enough oil in the bottom to completely cover the dough while frying it.
- Meanwhile, place 3-4 frozen bread rolls on a plate in the microwave and cook them for 30-45 seconds. You just want them to be soft enough to flatten out, but if you cook them any longer they will start to harden around the edges.
- Using your hands, flatten the soft dough into pancake-like saucers. (Get the kids to help you with this part, they will LOVE it!) 1 roll is perfect for a kid-sized portion, but if you have some hungry adults, combine 2-3 rolls of dough and flatten them together.
- Carefully place your flattened dough (1 at a time) into the oil and watch it carefully as it begins to brown. If it gets too brown too quick, your oil is too hot. Use metal tongs to flip the dough as needed to ensure the entire piece is golden and cooked through.
- Remove the fry bread from the oil on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb left-over oil. Dab each piece with more paper towels as necessary.
- Repeat until you have enough fry bread to serve a crowd!
- Top it with your choice of toppings for a sweet dessert OR, make Navajo Tacos!
How To Make Navajo Tacos
Navajo Tacos Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cans of your favorite beans, pinto, black, refried, white, ranch style etc. *Rinse and drain pinto, black or white beans
- Your favorite taco toppings- lettuce, tomato, sliced olives, cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole etc.
- Brown your ground beef over the stove in a large saucepan. Drain and rinse, then return to pan.
- Add 1/2 cup of salsa and 2 cans of beans. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Top your delicious fry bread with the beef/bean mixture, then top with your favorite taco toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Easy Taco Recipes
If you loved these easy Navajo tacos, you’ll love one of these other simple taco recipes!
- 3 Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos
- BBQ Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 10 Tasty Taco Ideas