This simple recipe is hands-down the best strawberry cake recipe you’ll ever make! It’s deliciously creamy, full of sweet strawberry flavor, and it’s super simple to make!
My college roommate got this recipe from her mom and everyone in our apartment agreed: it was love at first bite!
The four of us ended up making it several times that year of living together – and we would sit around with forks in hand eating it straight from the pan!
Fast forward nearly two decades later and we are still indulging in this favorite treat, but now we share it with our growing families.
WARNING: If you’ve ever had a love affair with a certain baked good, this recipe will be dangerous!
Here’s how to make it –
How to Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Cake
- 1 box of white or vanilla cake mix + ingredients on back of box (vegetable oil, egg whites, and water)
- 1-2 cups strawberry pie filling or strawberry glaze – you could also use Danish Dessert or a strawberry gelatin, but my favorite is to use the strawberry glaze.
- 2- 8oz packages of cream cheese
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
This Strawberry Cream Cheese Cake is not only the most delicious strawberry cake recipe, it is also the easiest!
Many homemade strawberry cake recipes call for a fluffy cake layer that often needs to be practiced for perfection, but you can shave off some serious prep and baking time in this recipe by using a box of white cake mix.
You’ll make a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting from scratch, and you’ll cut up some fresh strawberries by hand, but save your sanity and save some money by using a boxed mix.
BAKE – Bake the simple white cake mix in a sheet pan (not a 9×13 pan) for only 20 minutes.
FROST – While the cake is baking, whip up the delicious cream cheese frosting by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and whipping with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, until light and fluffy!
Once the cake has cooled to room temperature, spread out an even layer of frosting over the entire cake.
BUILD – To the cream cheese frosting, you’ll add a layer of strawberry glaze, then sprinkle with fresh strawberry slices. Not only do these strawberries add a fresh taste to this strawberry cake, but they also make it look so pretty!
Everything about this homemade strawberry cake is fantastic – it is easy to make, it uses very simple ingredients, and it is perfect for entertaining and can feed a crowd! Every time I have ever made this cake, it has disappeared extremely fast!
Here are a few more strawberry dessert recipes we think you’ll love –
- Simple Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Strawberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
This strawberry cake is both fluffy and creamy. Grab a few of your close friends, give them all a fork, and enjoy a slice right off the pan!
…and if you don’t like it, it’s you- not the cake. Just sayin’ (wink!)
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
(This recipe also makes mean strawberry cupcakes!)
Homemade Strawberry Cake
for the white cake –
- 1 box white cake mix , + ingredients on back of box
for the strawberry glaze –
- 2 cups strawberry pie filling or glaze, take any strawberry slices out of the pie filling
for the topping –
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a sheet cake pan/ cookie sheet.
- Mix cake mix according to package directions, using the specified number of egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Pour cake mixture into pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Let the cake cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla with electric mixture until well blended.Set aside.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cooled cake, then layer the strawberry glaze, followed by the slices of strawberry.