Strawberry cream puffs are simple to make and so delicious! Tender pastry shells filled with sweet strawberry whip cream make an easy, elegant dessert.
Easy Strawberry Cream Puffs from Scratch
There’s something so pretty and dainty about cream puffs, and they are one of my favorite treats! I’ve been making them for years, and every time I bake up the choux pastry shells, I’m amazed at how easy they are to make.
With just a little time and effort, you can make a delicious dessert that’s just as impressive as one you could buy at a french bakery. These strawberry cream puffs are a new variation, and they’re perfect for spring baby showers, wedding brunches, or any time you need an elegant and delicious dessert!
Here’s how to make them –
How to Make Cream Puffs
If you haven’t worked with choux pastry before, don’t be intimidated! It’s just four simple ingredients (yes, seriously) and the only skill you need is stirring with a wooden spoon. It’s as simple as that!
PASTRY INGREDIENTS –
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
I like to put my dough in a piping bag and pipe my dough onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper because it looks a little neater (also, because I really like piping), but scooping the dough works just as well.
The pastry shells bake up so puffy and perfect! It always feels a little magical when they rise so much in the oven.
Let them cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
Once they’ve cooled, you’ll cut them in half so you can add your filling. You could also poke a hole in the side of the puffs and pipe in the filling, but I think they’re a little prettier cut in half.
Cream Puff Fillings
Once you’ve mastered the choux pastry, you can fill your cream puffs with any creamy filling you’d like!
The fresh strawberry whip cream takes just a few minutes to make, and adds a ton of delicious strawberry flavor! I also love how pretty and pink the strawberry filling makes the puffs!
Here are a few more filling options –
Once filled, you can sprinkle confectioner’s sugar over the top to make them look even prettier!
If you make this cream puff recipe, let us know in the comments below or tag us on social media!
Strawberry Cream Puffs
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the water and butter, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the flour to form a thick paste. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition, to form a shiny dough.
- Pipe or spoon the dough into rounded mounds approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed up. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While the puffs are cooling, puree the strawberries with two tablespoons of sugar using a food processor or blender, until smooth. Beat the whipping cream until light and fluffy, then add the remaining two tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. With the beaters running, gradually add the strawberry mixture to the whipped cream, beating constantly to keep the mixture light and airy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the puffs have cooled, cut each puff in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Scoop or pipe the strawberry whip cream into each shell and dust with powdered sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve. If you are making these in advance, I would suggest freezing them, then thawing in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.