This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is made with sweet, homemade biscuits that are topped with an amazing strawberry sauce, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream. It’s the perfect spring dessert!
When it comes to delicious desserts, the more fruit, the better! Apple Crisp, Banana Ice Cream and Lemon Cheesecake Mousse are some of our favorites! This easy strawberry shortcake tops our list – fresh, delicious and simple to make! Is there anything better than that?
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
After a winter full of heavier comfort foods, it’s such a delightful change to eat something light and fresh. This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is simple and easy to make. Made with a fresh homemade biscuit and loaded with sliced strawberries and whipped cream, these cakes are incredibly delicious!
What I love most about this recipe is using these sweet homemade biscuits as the dessert’s base. Sometimes, if my sweet tooth gets the best of me, I’ll sprinkle a little sugar on top to make them even sweeter! This simple dessert is perfect for any occasion, from a weeknight dessert, a romantic Valentine’s dinner for two, or a delicious Mother’s Day brunch.
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
To make Strawberry Shortcake, you need to start with a delicious cake or bread. For this recipe, I tweaked my favorite biscuit recipe because it is simple, pretty, and delicious! (I just made them a little sweeter and richer. They are amazing!)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture and toss to combine everything together
- In a separate bowl, stir together the vinegar and half & half and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together
- Pat the dough out into an even layer that’s an inch thick on a lightly floured surface
- Pretend you’re folding a letter and fold the dough into thirds
- Pat the dough out again so it is about an inch thick again
- Cut into the circles using a biscuit cutter or a small cup
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are a beautiful golden brown
Making The Strawberry Sauce
- Combine one pound of strawberries with the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly thickened
- Stir occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns
- Let the strawberry mixture cool for about 10 minutes
- Cut the biscuits in half horizontally
- Fill the biscuit using the remaining sliced strawberries
- Top with the strawberry sauce and a mountain of whipped cream
Make Ahead Strawberry Shortcake
What’s awesome about this recipe is that you can prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time, and just assemble the shortcakes when you’re ready to serve. The strawberry sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week, and you could definitely make the biscuits the night before. Just be sure to store the biscuits in an airtight container so they don’t dry out before you serve them.
The recipe makes eight large biscuits or twelve smaller biscuits, so you may need to double or triple the recipe if you’re making them for a bigger crowd… or if you’re just particularly hungry! 🙂 As for the strawberries not being used in the sauce, I would recommend buying fresh strawberries only a day or two before serving these shortcakes. Not only will they taste better fresh but they’ll also look their best!
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Appetizer
- Strawberry Cream Puffs
- Homemade Strawberry Marshmallows
- Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe is one of the easiest to make and has a taste to die for! Leave us a comment below and let us know how much you loved it! Or tag us on social media when you serve this for dessert so we can see the smiles on everyone’s faces!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
for the biscuits:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 450. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the butter into the flour and toss to combine.
- Stir together the half and half and vinegar, and let sit five minutes. Pour the half and half into the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough out to an even layer, about one inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough into thirds, as though you are folding a letter. Pat the dough out again until it is about one inch thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or small cup. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- To make the strawberry sauce, combine 1 pound of strawberries with the sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Let cool ten minutes.
- To serve the shortcakes, cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Top with remaining strawberry slices, warm strawberry sauce, and whipped cream.