A few simple ingredients turn into a fresh and delicious dessert when they are baked together in this easy strawberry shortcake recipe!
When it comes to delicious desserts, the more fruit, the better! Apple Crisp, Banana Ice Cream and Lemon Cheesecake Mousse are some of our favorites! This easy strawberry shortcake tops our list – fresh, delicious and simple to make! Is there anything better than that?
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
After a winter full of heavier comfort foods, it’s such a delightful change to eat something light and fresh. This classic strawberry shortcake recipe is easy to make. Made with a fresh homemade biscuits and loaded with sliced strawberries and whipped cream, these cakes are incredibly delicious!
Skip the store-bought variations of sponge cakes and angel food cakes- this homemade version is made from scratch, but it is so easy to make – no fancy ingredients, food processor, or electric mixer needed!
It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion – from a weeknight dessert, a romantic Valentine’s dinner for two, or a delicious Mother’s Day brunch.
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
The recipe makes eight large biscuits or twelve smaller biscuits, so you may need to double or triple the recipe if you’re making them for a bigger crowd… or if you’re just particularly hungry! 🙂
for the biscuits:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- half and half
- white vinegar
for the topping:
- fresh strawberries
- fresh lemon juice
- whipped cream
you will also need
- a biscuit or pastry cutter, or you can use the rim of a small cup
To make Strawberry Shortcake, you need to start with a delicious cake or bread. For this recipe, I tweaked my favorite biscuit recipe because it is simple, pretty, and delicious! (I just made them a little sweeter and richer. They are amazing!)
Sometimes, if my sweet tooth gets the best of me, I’ll sprinkle a little sugar on top to make them even sweeter!
All the directions are in the printable recipe card (below), but you’ll bake the biscuits first until their olden brown, then while those are cooling, you’ll make the strawberry sauce, which takes less than 10 minute!
How to Build a Strawberry Shortcake
Once you have everything ready to go, build you strawberry shortcakes by cutting the biscuits in half horizontally. Top the bottom half of the biscuit with strawberry slices, warm strawberry sauce, and whipped cream, then put the top of the biscuit on to sandwich all the topping inside.
… and that’s it!
Feel free to use your favorite type of berries instead of strawberries for this recipe! Blueberries, blackberries… they all taste amazing!
CAN YOU MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
YES! You can prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time and assemble the shortcakes when you’re ready to serve.
Make the biscuits the night before and store them in an airtight container so they don’t dry out before you serve them.
The strawberry sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
I would recommend buying your fresh strawberries only a day or two before serving these shortcakes. Not only will they taste better fresh but they’ll also look their best!
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Appetizer
- Strawberry Cream Puffs
- Homemade Strawberry Marshmallows
- Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
- Rolled Strawberry Shortcake Cake
HERE’S A PRINTABLE HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
for the biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 450. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the butter into the flour and toss to combine.
- Stir together the half and half and vinegar, and let sit five minutes. Pour the half and half into the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough out to an even layer, about one inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough into thirds, as though you are folding a letter. Pat the dough out again until it is about one inch thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or small cup. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- To make the strawberry sauce, combine 1 pound of strawberries with the sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Let cool ten minutes.
- To serve the shortcakes, cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Top with remaining strawberry slices, warm strawberry sauce, and whipped cream.