Strawberry Shortcake Roll is beautiful, delicious and surprisingly simple to make! Filled with fresh strawberries and a delicious cream cheese frosting, it’s perfect for any special occasion or a lazy summer day!
Easy Strawberry Roll Cake
Are you a fan of The Great British Baking Show? I’ve seen every season, so I’ve seen many contestants bake various flavors of Swiss rolls on the show, but up until 6 months or so, I was too intimidated by the process.
As nervous as I was, I gave it a try and I’m so glad I did! This cake roll is packed with tart strawberries and a fluffy vanilla creme. It’s the perfect summer dessert and it’s actually really easy to create! Here’s how:
How To Make A Strawberry Shortcake Roll
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- for the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced – You can use any other berries for this if you want to switch up the flavor!
Get Mixing – You’ll start by whisking all of the ingredients together to make the cake batter. I love that you don’t even need a mixer for this recipe!
Baking Prep – When it’s all mixed together, pour the batter into a baking sheet.
Note – The batter is thinner than a typical cake batter, which makes it easier to spread in the pan.
Tip – Be sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper, because it’s crucial for getting the cake out easily after it is baked.
Spread & Tap – Spread the batter evenly in the pan, and tap it gently on the counter a few times to release some air bubbles.
Cook It – Bake the cake until it’s lightly golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Run a plastic knife or spatula around the edges of the cake to release the sides of the cake from the pan.
Flip It – Sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with a dusting of powdered sugar. Invert the cake onto the kitchen towel and then remove the parchment paper. Make sure that the towel overlaps the cake on all sides.
Roll It Slow – Starting from one of the short ends, fold the edge of the towel over the cake, then roll up into a spiral. Roll it firmly, but not too tightly, and go slowly and carefully so the cake doesn’t crack or get smushed.
Cool It – When your cake is all rolled up, refrigerate it for 30 minutes, or until completely cooled.
Make The Filling – While the cake is cooling, whip up your filling! It’s made with cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. You’ll want to beat it until it’s light and fluffy and well blended.
Spread The Filling – Unroll the cake, and spread the cream cheese filling over the top evenly. I always use an offset spatula, and it makes spreading much easier.
Add The Strawberries – Next, spread sliced strawberries over the filling in an even layer.
Roll It Again – Finally, roll the cake up again, starting at the short edge. Again, you’ll want to roll it firmly so you get a nice spiral, but not so tightly that the filling gets squished out of the sides. Place the cake roll seam-side down on a serving plate, then sprinkle it with powdered sugar and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Serve – Once the cake is set up, cut it into slices and serve. I love how pretty the spiral is, with the colorful strawberries and the creamy filling!
This strawberry shortcake roll is so delicious, and the cake is so light and tender. It’s the perfect complement to the creamy sweet filling.
Don’t Wait – This cake is best when eaten the day it’s made because the strawberries will start to leak a little if they sit for too long. It’s an elegant dessert that’s perfect for your next picnic, summer party, or any special occasion!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- My Favorite Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Coconut Cake Snowballs
- Red Velvet Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Dairy Free Cake
- Homemade Funnel Cake Recipe
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Strawberry Shortcake Roll
for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs until they are light yellow. Add the sugar, oil, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, and mix until well combined. Add the flour, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet, spreading evenly. Bake 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Spread out a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Invert the cake onto the towel and remove the parchment sheet. Fold the edge of the towel over the short end of the cake and roll up into a spiral, with the towel rolled inside the cake. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- While the cake is cooling, beat together the cream cheese and sugar. Add the whipping cream and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread the cream cheese filling over the top of the cake. Spread the strawberries in an even layer over the cake. Roll the cake up again, but not so tightly that the filling squishes out. Place seam-side down on a serving plate. Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar and refrigerate 30 minutes before slicing and serving.