This easy Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers recipe is light, low carb and gluten-free! It is the perfect summertime meal and you’ll fall in love with its amazing flavor!
With grilling season in full-swing, you have to try this Grilled Pesto Shrimp recipe! We have it in my home every week or so during summer because everyone (even the kids!) LOVE it! (Maybe now that they’re older we can move past the chicken nuggets and macaroni! Yay!)
The recipe couldn’t be easier, you simply make the pesto or use your favorite store bought variety, marinate the shrimp, skewer it on sticks and grill it!
Serving these Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers to a crowd? Place them on a platter over a bed of greens or right on the stick for a fun handheld appetizer. Either way, they’re delicious and nutritious. For a heartier meal, the shrimp are super tasty over pasta too!
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
Makes about 25 grilled shrimp
for the pesto sauce:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
for the shrimp skewers
- 1 1/2 lbs jumbo (21/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
- 7-10 wooden skewers, or metal skewers
- lemon wedges
- Make your pesto sauce. In a food processor (I use my mini prep) pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Combine raw shrimp with pesto in a medium bowl, mix well and marinate for at least 1 hour or place in fridge overnight.
- Soak wooden skewers in water at least 20 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step – which is what we prefer).
- Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Heat grill (outdoor or indoor grill pan) over medium heat until hot.
- Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Place the shrimp on the hot grill and cook until shrimp turns pink on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn over and continue cooking until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes more.
- Serve with a little fresh lemon wedge for added flavor.
We find that if we pack the shrimp too tight on the skewers, it takes a bit longer to cook and can easily be overcooked. Better to use more skewers with fewer shrimp on each.
Enjoy this healthy grilled shrimp recipe as an easy weeknight meal or for your next cookout, but make sure you make more than you think you’ll need – they’re a family favorite around our house!