This easy recipe will show you how to cook ribs in the oven so they fall off the bone! Following just a few easy steps, you can go from being a novice cook to a grill master in no time.
These ribs are perfect to make for a Summer BBQ, a Super Bowl party, or just getting together with family and friends. Add a side of Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a batch of Homemade Lemonade and you’ll be all set!
Easy Fall Off The Bone Ribs
The last time we had ribs at a BBQ my kids got tired of trying to tear the meat from the bone, so they just gave up. These ribs are different!!
The meat literally falls off the bone with every bite! They’re easy to eat and SO delicious!
This MASTERPIECE recipe was shared with our family by my brother-in-law. Before he showed me how to cook ribs, I never attempted them because I was too intimidated to try. But I wrote down every step and took pictures of the entire process with this blog post in mind so you can see how easy and delicious these are! BEST.RIBS.EVER.
Here’s how to make them –
How To Cook Ribs In The Oven
- pork ribs (I prefer baby back ribs, but you can also use beef ribs, but be careful not to get spare ribs as those are always tough to cut)
- brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- BBQ sauce – my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray’s
1. Spice Rub – Making the rub for your ribs is super easy. Just mix together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl.
2. Cut The Fat – Trim off any of the excess fat from your rack of ribs with a pair of kitchen shears or a sharp knife.
3. Prep Them To Fall Off The Bone – Cut and pull off the thin membrane on the underside of the ribs. (This really helps the meat to fall off the bone so much easier!) I had never done this before so it was fascinating to me!
4. Apply The Rub – Rub both sides of the ribs with the dry rub mixture. Pile it on and really work the mixture into the meat as best as you can. You don’t need to do too much on the underside as most of the flavor will need to go on the meat which is on the top.
5. Lock In The Flavor – Wrap each rack in aluminum foil two times to ensure no flavors drip out during the baking process. Let the ribs marinate for several hours or in the refrigerator overnight. (This recipe takes a lot of patience, which is something I am working on!)
6. Cook – Bake the ribs in the oven at 220 degrees F for 5 hours. Again, patience, my friends. Baking them slowly is the key to getting the ribs to just fall off the bone when you eat them.
7. Final Touch – Not necessary, but a delicious finishing touch is to Preheat your BBQ, drench with your favorite barbecue sauce and throw those ribs onto the grill! The meat should already be cooked so just grill them long enough to get the smoky flavor and BBQ feel.
Tips For Making Fall Off The Bone Ribs
- Drip Tray – When baking the ribs in your oven, some people prefer to bake the ribs in foil on a cookie sheet, but we just place the foil-wrapped ribs directly on the oven rack. (We lined the bottom of the oven with a couple of sheets of foil to catch anything that might fall.)
- Flip Them – My brother-in-law also flips the racks of ribs each hour… but his schedule must not be as busy as mine! He said this isn’t necessary, it just gives him something to do and lets the awesome smell start floating through the air! If you don’t want to keep flipping them, bake them upside down so all the juices drip into the meat instead of into the bones.
- Flipping Tip – Be very careful when you flip the ribs. One time when I flipped them, there was a hole in the foil and a lot of the juices came out and got all over my oven door. If this happens, here’s an Easy Way To Clean Your Oven Glass.
Best Side Dishes To Serve
- Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Best Potato Salad
- Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
Fall Off The Bone Ribs Recipe
Now that you’ve seen just how easy it is to make these tender ribs so they just fall off the bone, it’s your turn to give it a shot! Leave us a comment below and let us know how much you liked them or tag us on social media and show us just how easily these ribs are to enjoy!
Fall Off The Bone Ribs Recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Ribs, we used pork ribs, but you can use beef if you’d like
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Make your rub by mixing together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl.
- Trim off the excess fat from your ribs.
- Cut and pull off the thin membrane on the underside of the ribs.
- Rub both sides of the ribs with the dry rub mixture. Pile it on and work the mixture into the meat as best as you can. You don’t need to do too much on the underside as most of the flavor will need to go on the meat which is on the top.
- Wrap each rack in foil two times to insure no flavors drip out in the baking process.
- Let this marinate for several hours or in the fridge overnight.
- Bake in the oven at 220 degrees for 5 hours.
- Warm up your BBQ grill
- Drench the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce, and place them on the grill long enough to get the smoky flavor and BBQ feel.