Oreo Cookie Cake is a fluffy 2-layer chocolate cake sandwiched with a cream cheese and Oreo frosting, then drizzled with melted chocolate. It’s a delicious cake that looks fancy, but it couldn’t be any easier to make!
If you love Oreos as much as I do, you should also try these Oreo Rice Krispies Treats, Red Velvet Oreo Cheesecake, and Chocolate Covered Oreo recipes.
Chocolate Oreo Cake
I have made this chocolate-covered Oreo cookie cake recipe several times over the years and I have never been disappointed. Not only does it taste delicious, but it’s also a really pretty cake that looks impressive without all the hard work. (Which is kind of the only recipes I ever attempt nowadays!)
And did I mention it’s delicious?
It really is SUPER YUMMY! It’s covered in chocolate, how can it not be fantastic?!
Here’s how to make it –
How To Make Oreo Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Cake – You will need 1 box of chocolate cake mix + the ingredients on the box.
- Chocolate Ganache – We’re just mixing Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate with melted butter.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – cream cheese, sugar, and whipped topping.
- Oreo Cookies – Coarsely crushed by hand or in a food processor
Cake Batter – First, grab your favorite box of chocolate cake mix and make it using two 9-inch round cake pans. Spray them generously with nonstick cooking spray. Once they’re done baking in the oven, you’ll want to set them aside until they cool completely.
Oreo Filling – While those are baking, you can make the Oreo cookie filling with a standard hand mixer, or in the bowl of your stand mixer. Blend the cream cheese, cool whip, and sugar together in a bowl.
Fold – Gently add the crushed Oreo cookies and whipped topping to the cream cheese mixture. I use a wooden spoon to fold this. If you use a hand mixer, the Oreos will turn the frosting brown.
Assemble – Once the cakes have cooled you can assemble the cake with the Oreo cookie filling. Spread the Oreo filling evenly over one of the chocolate cakes. Then, place the second chocolate cake on top to form an “Oreo”.
Topping – Once the cake is assembled, the last thing you need to do is make the chocolate glaze topping. Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave it until the butter has melted. Then give it a good stir until the chocolate has completely melted and mixed with the butter.
Drizzle – Pour the melted chocolate over the Oreo cookie cake and serve!
Tip For Making Oreo Cake
Coloring – If you want to keep the filling white, make sure you mix in the cookies by hand. As you’ll see in the video when I was stirring in the cream cheese and crushed cookies I just put them all together and used a hand mixer instead of mixing by hand. This gave the mixture more of a brown coloring.
Frosting – If you prefer a thicker topping, you can also use a standard chocolate cake frosting.
Seriously, how good does this Oreo cookie cake look?? Let me know when you make it and I’ll be over in 10 minutes with 2 glasses of milk!
More Delicious Chocolate Recipes
- Best Homemade Brownies Recipe
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- Dairy Free Cake with Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
More Amazing Recipes Using Oreos
- Mini Cheesecake With Oreo Crust
- Oreo Cookie Truffles
- Thanksgiving Oreo Turkey Pops
- 10 Recipes Using Oreo Cookies
- Oreo Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Oreo Cookie Cake Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, plus the ingredients listed on the back of the box
- 1 oz Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, 4 squares
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping, thawed
- 15 Oreo Cookies, coarsely crushed
- Prepare cake batter according to the package directions and then bake each cake in 2 (9-inch) round pans as directed on the package. Remove the cake from the pans and let them cool completely.
- Blend the cream cheese and the sugar in large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Gently stir in whipped topping and crushed cookies.
- Stack 1 round cake on a plate, and then spread the cream cheese mixture on top. Stack the 2nd cake on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Microwave the baking chocolate and the butter in a small glass bowl for 2 minutes, or until the butter is melted. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate glaze on top of the cake and let it fall off the sides.
- Let the cake stand until the chocolate is firm, then serve and enjoy.
Oh my goodness – Oreos are my favorite this recipe was amazing!
My kids LOVE Oreos so we decided to make it last weekend and it was fantastic! We had some much fun making it that we’ll definitely be doing it again. Thanks for such a fun idea to do with my kids!
That’s awesome! I just love it when kids get involved in the kitchen.
So easy and so good, total family hit!
I’m so glad you guys loved it!
This was so good. I’ve made several oreo cakes over the years, but this has been the best one yet!
Thanks April, you really made my day!
Wow, Stephanie! This looks seriously delicious! So rich and yummy!
Thanks Kristi! It is delicious!!!
My husband the oreo fan will LOVE this cake! 🙂
I hope he likes it!
Yep, proceed with caution!
I made this into cupcakes. They were a huge hit!
Tomorrow is my husband’s birthday. His fave cookie is the classic Oreo. Definitely making this cake tonight. He’ll love it!
He is going to love it!!!
This cake looks so so good!
I just pinned this delicious looking cake and hubby already requested it for his birthday in August. 🙂
Yum! Gonna pin this one! Looks so delicious-I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.
Great and delicious looking cake!
You tood a simple cake and turned it to an amazing one – just love it
What a great recipe…love your blog….
This looks so delicious. I’ll have to try to make it soon.
I apologize if this is a silly question, but is the sugar used in the cream cheese part of the recipe castor sugar or powdered sugar? Would it matter?
It is not powdered sugar, though it might not matter now that I think about it!
I make this every year for my husband’s birthday and it’s delicious!
I LOVE oreos!! 🙂 I pinned this and 30 people have already re-pinned. I’m excited to make it! Thanks for the recipe. 🙂
This sounds amazing! I just pinned it!
Yum and dangerous!! Oreos and chocolate!! I am stopping by via the Linky Follower Hop. Following via linky and liked your fb page.
~ Stop by if you get a chance, follow if you like
Thanks for the yummy recipe.
This looks so good! I would be honored to have it in my 100th Birthday Party link up for Oreo! If you have anything else oreo, feel free to link it, too!
Have a great week!
wow this looks SO good. Pinning this one for later!
Yum, that looks delicious!