Fluffy chocolate cake and creamy salted caramel frosting – this Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake is perfectly delicious and totally easy to make!
This easy chocolate cake is a recipe that literally anyone can bake at home! The double cake layers are chocolatey and moist, and the chocolate buttercream frosting is smooth and creamy. The salted caramel filling adds the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
Here is how to make it –
Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting
- Chocolate Cake
- 2 round choclate cakes: I like to use a box of chocolate cake mix to keep it simple and convenient, but if you have a favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe, feel free to use it!
- Salted Caramel Butter Cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- caramel syrup: I love a good salted caramel sauce, but for this recipe I just use caramel ice cream topping)
- sea salt
- powdered sugar
- whipping cream
- Chocolate Butter Cream
- vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
- powdered sugar
- whipping cream
BAKE A CAKE. Make the chocolate cake batter as mentioned in the package directions by mixing the dry ingredients with the 1/2 cup vegetable oil, eggs, and water.
Prep your cake pans by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper.
Pour the batter into 2 round cake pans and bake in the oven until a toothpick comes out clean. Set both cakes aside on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
MAKE THE FILLING. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, vanilla, caramel, and salt with an electric mixer. (You can make this in the bowl of a stand mixer if you prefer.) Slowly stir in the powdered sugar and milk. Beat until creamy, then set mixture aside.
MAKE THE FROSTING. In another mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the powdered sugar, cocoa, and milk. Beat until creamy.
FROST – Spread the salted caramel buttercream on top of one round cake. Top with the other cake piece. Cover the entire cake with chocolate buttercream by spreading a thin layer of frosting on the top and sides with a knife or spatula.
TIP – If your cakes peak or make a dome when they bake, use a serrated knife to shave off the top of the bottom cake layer so it is flat. Otherwise, your top cake won’t lay flat.
SERVE. Slice the cake and enjoy!
STORE. Not even crumbs are leftover when I make this cake, but this cake can be covered in plastic wrap and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
SHARE. If you make this Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake, leave us a comment below, or tag us on social media! We love to see you try our recipes!
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
for the cake:
- 1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix + ingredients on the back of the box
for the Salted Caramel Butter Cream:
- Make the chocolate cake into 2 round cakes as mentioned on package directions. Cool completely. Cover and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, vanilla, caramel, and salt. Slowly add the powdered sugar and milk. Beat until creamy.
- In another mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar, cocoa, and milk. Beat until creamy.
- Spread the salted caramel butter cream on top of one round cake. Top with the other cake piece. Cover the entire cake with the chocolate butter cream and serve!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Jocelyn is the baker, photographer, and writer behind Inside BruCrew Life. She is married to her best friend, and they have three great kids. Jocelyn was a Food Contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2014.