These Crock-pot chicken tacos are one of our very favorite meals! With only 3 ingredients, this taco recipe is easy to make and takes no time to prepare. Simply put the ingredients into your slow cooker, then sit back and relax!
if you love tacos as much as I do, then you should also try these Baked Fish Tacos, Navajo Tacos and BBQ Chicken Tacos recipes.
Easiest Shredded Chicken Tacos
I’ve been making Crock-pot chicken tacos for over 10 years now. This recipe is one of my favorites because it’s so simple and it is so delicious! One of the greatest things about this recipe is that you can make enough to serve just a couple people, or it’s easily adjusted to feed a crowd.
We’ve made chicken tacos plenty of times when we entertain large groups, but my in-laws make it all the time for just the two of them. It is quite possibly the easiest, most delicious chicken taco recipe EVER!!! This recipe uses only 3 basic ingredients that you probably already have in your house.
How To Make Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos
Prep – Place the chicken breast at the bottom of the Crock-pot. For this recipe I typically use frozen chicken breasts. If you decide to use thawed chicken, that’s fine but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time to account for that. Next pour in the salsa and drained beans.
Cook – Cover the chicken and then cook it for about 6-8 hours on the low setting.
Shred – About 30 minutes before serving the tacos, remove the chicken from the Crock-pot and shred it. After shredding it, return the chicken back to the Crock-pot and cook on high, uncovered, for the last half hour. This allow a lot of the excess water to cook off.
Drain It – Depending on the exact ingredients you use for these tacos, there can still be a lot of excess liquid when the chicken is done cooking. If there’s still too much, I would strain it through a colander before serving so your tacos don’t get soggy.
Don’t Burn Yourself – I like to use a pair of meat claws when shredding the chicken. The chicken is super hot and these make it easier to pull the chicken from the Crock-pot and you’ll have it shredded in no time.
Salsa Substitute – If you don’t like salsa, or just don’t have any on-hand, you can substitute it with a packet of taco seasoning. If you make this substitution, you don’t need to add extra water. There’s enough water already in the chicken.
Fresh Tortillas – It may be hard to believe but these Crock-pot chicken tacos can are even better when you wrap them in fresh homemade flour tortillas. They’re super easy to make and taste so much better.
More Easy Crock-Pot Recipes
Did you like these chicken tacos? If so, try a few of our other favorite slow cooker recipes!
- These Crock Pot Grape Jelly Meatballs are easy and delicious
- This Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is a delicious appetizer
- I love this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe for a busy day
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- Crock Pot Roast Beef Sandwiches are juicy and delicious
Crock-pot Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, I put these in frozen
- 16 oz salsa
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 12 Flour Tortillas, I like homemade tortillas
- 1 Iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can olives
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the crock pot. Pour the salsa and black beans over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 1/2 hour before serving, remove chicken onto cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to crock pot and turn heat to high. Leave the lid off for remaining 1/2 hour to burn off excess liquid around chicken and beans. Depending on how much liquid your chicken distributes, you may even want to strain this a bit in a colander before serving. Sometimes it can be pretty runny and cause for a soggy taco!
- Serve in your favorite tortillas or taco shells and top with your favorite taco toppings!
Made these for dinner tonight. Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.
I am so glad you liked them! 🙂
I’ll be making these! I linked to this in my “Inspire Me Friday” post last week.
Oh goodness! This looks like a easy and delicious recipe!