This Tamale Pie Recipe is so simple to make and is so delicious! I LOVE tamales but I don’t love the time it takes to make them. Loaded with the mouthwatering combination of beef, cornbread, salsa, corn and cheese, this tamale pie recipe has all of the deliciousness of tamales without having to spend all day in the kitchen.
This recipe is one of my family’s favorites. I love to serve this tamale pie with a side of tortilla chips and my favorite homemade salsa or this delicious chicken enchilada dip. and wash it all down with a refreshing glass of horchata.
Easy Tamale Pie
My grandma used to make a Mexican casserole with the same flavors as this tamale pie and it was one of my favorite childhood meals. But unlike other versions of this recipe that I have tried and made for my own family, this easy tamale pie recipe requires very little prep-work.
There is no cutting veggies or waiting for onions and peppers to saute. All the ingredients are probably in your fridge or pantry right now, so you’ll be ready for dinner and pleasing your taste buds in no time at all!
My kids love it. My husband loves it. And I love that I found another recipe that doesn’t get moans and groans from my family when I serve it for dinner! Everyone wins!
What Is Tamale Pie?
Tamale pie is a delicious casserole filled with all of the traditional flavors of a tamale but without the endless hours in the kitchen. This casserole is filled with juicy ground beef, cheese, salsa, corn and any of your other favorite Mexican ingredients. Then you top it off with a soft layer of cornbread.
How To Make Tamale Pie
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Brown your ground beef in a frying pan on medium heat
- Once browned, rinse and drain the ground beef
- Add the corn, cheese and any other tamale ingredients to the ground beef and then mix it until combined
- Pour the mixture into a casserole pan and then sprinkle a little more cheese over the top
- In a separate bowl, make the cornbread mix according to the package and then spread it evenly over the top of the beef mixture
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the cornbread is a golden brown
Tips For Making Tamale Pie
- If you want to add a little spice to your tamale pie, dice a few jalapenos and mix it in with the rest of the ingredients
- If you like a sweeter cornbread, use this delicious cornbread recipe
Items Used For This Tamale Pie Recipe
- Your favorite bakeware set – I love the CorningWare brand
- These are my favorite knives for dicing vegetables
- A large mixing bowl
Can I Freeze Tamale Pie?
Yes, you can certainly freeze this recipe! This is one of my favorite freezer meals to make and save for a crazy day. When you’re ready to use it, place it in your refrigerator over night. Don’t leave it on your counter to thaw, because bacteria can begin to grow once it gets warmer.
More Easy Mexican Recipes
If you loved this easy tamale pie recipe you’ll love one of these other Mexican dinner ideas.
- Easy Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Bean Burritos
- Mexican Corn Salad Recipe
- Albondigas Soup Recipe
- Easy Enchilada Sauce
Best Tamale Pie Recipe
Now that you’ve seen just how simple this recipe is to make, it’s your turn! Leave us a comment below and let us know how it turned out and what other ingredients you may have added or tag us on social media because we love seeing what you’ve been up to in the kitchen.
Tamale Pie Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 can corn undrained (or you can use 2 cups of frozen corn and 1/4 cup of water)
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix + ingredients listed on the box
- 16 oz salsa 14-16 oz
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- *Feel free to add whatever else you like- olives green onions, diced tomatoes etc.
Heat the oven to 375°F.
Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat. Rinse and drain.
Add the corn and salsa to the beef- mix until combined.
Pour the beef mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole pan.
Sprinkle with cheese.
In a separate bowl, mix the corn muffin mix according to the package directions. Spread the batter evenly on top of the beef mixture.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.