My aunt Crystal is the queen of classic foods made easy, and this is her recipe for delicious cornbread muffins that are soft, not starchy and deliciously sweet! Best of all, this recipe is super simple to toss together and it feeds a crowd!
*We updated this post with a new, semi-homemade version that my family prefers. If you’re looking for the homemade cornbread muffin recipe we originally posted in 2010, keep scrolling to the bottom of the post.
How To Make Cornbread With Cake Mix
Sweet & Easy Cornbread Recipe
- 1 box of white or yellow cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- 2 boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix plus ingredients called for on the box
Preheat oven to 350˚. Line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners, or lightly grease 1 9x13 casserole pans with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix the cake mix according to package directions, then set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the 2 boxes of cornbread mix according to package directions, then add it to the cake mix bowl. Mix well.
Distribute batter into muffin tins or cake pan.
Bake in preheated oven until cooked through. Muffins take about 15 minutes and the cake takes about 40, depending on how thick your batter is.
Serve and enjoy!
Yum! I love light and fluffy cornbread!
Here is the homemade version….
Sweet Cornbread Muffins:
makes 12 muffins
Sweet Cornbread Ingredients –
- ½ cup margarine
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup frozen yellow corn
Sweet Cornbread Directions-
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin pan, or line it with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, honey, eggs and salt until well combined.
- Add the flour, cornmeal and baking powder, then mix well. Slowly add the milk.
- Add corn to the bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.