Easy Cornbread Using Jiffy
My aunt Crystal is the queen of classic foods that are simplified. She is always finding tasty ways to make our favorite foods faster and easier. The first time I tried it, I thought it was the best cornbread I had ever tasted!
This is her semi-homemade recipe for an easy cornbread that is soft, not starchy, and deliciously sweet! Best of all, this recipe is super simple to toss together and it feeds a crowd! It has become my go-to cornbread recipe and it’s the cornbread all my family prefers.
However, if you’re looking for a more homemade recipe, be sure to check out our Cornbread Muffins, made from scratch! (That’s a good one too!)
How To Make Sweet Cornbread
Prep – Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. You’ll also want to grease a 9 x 13 baking pan lightly with a shot of cooking spray.
Mix Separately & Combine – You’ll want to make the yellow cake mix and Jiffy cornbread mix in separate bowls according to the directions on each box. Once both mixes have been prepared, combine the two and stir them until they have fully mixed together.
Pour & Cook – Pour the batter into your baking pan and then put it in the oven. Bake the mix for about 40 minutes until it is fully cooked and golden brown on top. To make sure it’s ready, you can use the “toothpick trick” and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
Serve – Cut the sweet cornbread into squares and top with a delicious Honey Butter or your other favorite topping.
Muffins – Sometimes I’ll use this recipe to make muffins so I can eat them on the go. This recipe will make approximately 2 muffin pans. Fill your muffin tin with liners and then pour in the mix. These will cook faster, so you’ll only need to cook them for about 15 mins.
Additional Flavor – If you want to mix things up a bit, you can add things like cooked bacon, blueberries or cranberries to this sweet cornbread recipe.
What To Serve With Cornbread
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Chili
- Easy Chili Mac Recipe
- Fall Off The Bone Ribs
Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 15.25 oz yellow cake mix, a white cake mix also works (plus ingredients called for on the box)
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn bread mix, (plus ingredients called for on the box)
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners, or lightly grease 1 9x13 casserole pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix according to package directions, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 2 boxes of cornbread mix according to package directions, then add it to the cake mix bowl. Mix well.
- Distribute batter into muffin tins or cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until cooked through. Muffins will take about 15 minutes to cook and the full baking pan takes about 40 minutes, depending on how thick your batter is.