This Instant Pot turkey chili is the best homemade chili you’ll ever eat. The recipe uses only a few basic ingredients and is ready in about 30 minutes.
Healthy Homemade Turkey Chili
I love it when the calendar turns to fall. That means it’s time to break out all of the chili, soup and stew recipes. I grew up eating homemade chili and it’s one of my favorite meals to eat when it’s cold outside.
Who doesn’t love all of the delicious flavors that come jam packed in chili? This healthy recipe is loaded with ground turkey, fresh vegetables, beans and an amazing blend of spices.
In fact, I’ve used this chili recipe in several homemade chili contests and almost always finish in the top 3. However, the biggest blue ribbon I’ve ever earned is that my kids have never complained when I make it. They eat everything in their bowl and usually ask for a second scoop.
How To Make Instant Pot Chili
Brown Turkey – Put the oil and turkey into the pot and select the sauté function on the Instant Pot. Cook until the meat has browned.
Season Meat – Next, add in the finely diced onion and other seasoning listed to make the meat mixture. Mix everything together and let it sauté for a few minutes.
Compile Chili – Add the remaining ingredients for the turkey chili to the Instant Pot with the exception of the diced tomatoes. Stir everything until the ingredients are fully blended together.
Add Tomatoes – Once everything has been mixed, add the diced tomatoes to the top of the chili. Don’t stir the tomatoes in. If they are mixed in and settle at the bottom, they’ll burn.
Cook – Make sure the steam release valve is closed before you start. Then cook the turkey chili on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Release – When the chili is done cooking, use the quick release to release the pressure. Be sure the valve is pointed AWAY from you before releasing the steam. Then remove the lid and serve.
Where’s The Beef – If you prefer beef over turkey, you can easily substitute it in this recipe. If you do, I would recommend using beef that’s no leaner than 80/20. The more fat in the beef, the better the flavor.
Make It Spicy – If you prefer a spicy chili, go ahead and had some diced jalapenos or cayenne pepper to taste.
Thicker – If you want to thicken up the turkey chili a little, put the Instant Pot back on sauté mode after it’s done cooking and let it simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
Bean Mixture – If you don’t like any of the beans used in this chili recipe, you can easily substitute them for others you prefer.
Fridge – You can store this turkey chili recipe in the fridge for about 5 days.
Make Ahead – I love to make extra and pour leftovers into smaller deli containers. My family loves to take these to school or work for lunch during the week.
Freezer – You can also make a large batch of this chili and freeze it for later. If properly stored, you can keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More Recipes Using Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Easy Chili Mac Recipe
- Chili & Cream Cheese Dip
- Turkey Sausage & Sweet Potato Chili
- Chili & Cornbread Casserole
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
For the meat mixture:
- 1 Tbs oil, any kind
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey , or beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
For the Instant Pot:
- 15 oz chicken broth
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp seasoned salt, we love Lowry’s
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 15 oz pinto beans, any kind or combination, drained
- 15 oz kidney beans
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz corn, drained
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with liquid
- In a skillet, add the oil and saute the ground turkey or beef.
- When the meat is browned, add the remaining ingredients for the meat mixture and saute for a few more minutes.
- In the instant pot, add the meat mixture along with all the other ingredients, except the diced tomatoes.
- Once everything is in the pot, stir everything together, and then add the diced tomatoes to the top, and do not stir after. (The tomatoes will burn if they’re on the bottom.)
- Place the lid onto the pot, and make sure the steam release valve is closed.
- Select Manual > High Pressure > 12 minutes.
- When done, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 15 min, then remove the lid, serve, and enjoy!