Baked potato soup is the ultimate bowl of comfort food! Loaded with hearty potatoes, bacon and cheese, this soup is irresistible! It’s cozy, creamy, delicious and quick to make – perfect for a cold day!
One of the things I love about fall and winter is that it gives me an excuse to make soup. Zuppa Toscana, Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle, Easy Lasagna Soup and THIS Baked Potato Soup definitely top our list of favorites!
A Classic Homemade Soup
I am totally a soup girl. While I am always trying new soup to add to my soup recipe box, you are more likely to find me making my favorites over and over and, yes, over again. One of my favorites is this baked potato soup. This is a recipe I have used for years and make frequently.
Made using classic ingredients of a loaded baked potato, this soup is pretty low maintenance. It’s easy to make and comes together SOUPer fast (sorry I had to). This soup is also great as leftovers…if there are any!
How To Make Baked Potato Soup
Prep – Saute your onions until they are translucent and a light brown color. You’ll also want to melt the butter in a large pot.
Mix – Add the flour to the sauteed onions and stir continuously for about 2 minutes. Next, add the broth, water, cornstarch, instant potatoes and spices to the pot. Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
Potatoes & Cook – Cut your baked potatoes in half and then you’ll scoop out the pulp and place it into the soup. Finally, you’ll add the half and half to the pot and then bring everything back to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer everything for about 15 minutes.
Toppings – Add your favorite toppings from a loaded baked potato; like bacon, cheese and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Easy Baked Potatoes – If you need a hassle-free way to cook Bake Potatoes, check out this easy way.
Storage & Freezing – If you have any soup left over be sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge where it will stay fresh for about 5 days. You can also freeze baked potato soup for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- KFC Copycat Chicken & Mashed Potato Bowls
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe
- Twice Baked Potato Bites
- The Best Potato Salad Recipe
- Easy Ham & Potato Salad
If you try this easy recipe be sure to leave us a comment below and let us know how it turned out. Don’t forget to follow us on social media so you can see all of our latest recipes.
Baked Potato Soup
- 2 med. potatoes, baked
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnishes-shredded cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, sliced green onions, sour cream
- Melt butter in a stock pot. Saute onions in the butter until light brown and translucent.
- Add flour to onions and stir continuously while cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, cornstarch, instant potatoes, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut baked potatoes in half and scoop out the pulp and put into the soup, letting it crumble into rough bite-sized pieces.
- Add half-and-half. Bring back to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes & enjoy!
About the Author: Larissa is a mom of 4 boys who likes to cook and create. The former Food Contributor on Somewhat Simple (2011-12), she now shares her creative adventures full-time on her own blog Just Another Day in Paradise.
This post originally published on Somewhat Simple in January 2012