Twice baked potato bites are a fun spin on an old classic. They make a delicious appetizer and are sure to impress your friends!
I love to entertain! Hosting friends and families is one of my favorite things to do. What’s even more fun is coming up with a delicious appetizer for everyone to enjoy. One of my favorite things to order when we go out to dinner is a twice baked potato. I dream about that delicious filling all day leading up to when we go out.
So I figured, why not make a delicious bite-sized version and serve them as an appetizer. They’re really easy to make and I guarantee they’ll be a hit. I promise, these twice baked potato bites are exactly what your next party needs!
How To Make Baked Potato Bites
The Right Potatoes – For this recipe, you’ll want to use baby red potatoes (sometimes called red creamer potatoes) instead of regular red potatoes. You’ll want to make sure their small and bite-sized! Look for potatoes that are about 1½” in diameter. If they’re any bigger than this and they’re not so bite-sized. But if the potatoes are any smaller they’ll be hard to scoop out.
Bake Them – After washing and drying the potatoes, give each one a couple of pokes with a fork. Toss them in a little bit of olive oil and the bake them for about 30 minutes.
Prep Potatoes – Slice off the top of each potato and then scoop out most of the inside and place it in a bowl. I use the smaller end of my melon baller to scoop the flesh out of the potatoes. It’s just the right size and makes quick work of it!
Tip – Leave about 25% of the potato inside the shell of the skin so the potato can still hold its shape.
The Filling – Mix together the insides of the potatoes with the other ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Next, add in the sliced green onion and then give it a good stir by hand.
Fill Them – Fill each potato bite with some of the delicious mixture. I think it’s easiest to fill the potato shells by scooping the prepared mashed potatoes into a quart-size zip top bag, snipping the corner, and squeezing it out. Plus it looks pretty!
Heat Some More – Sprinkle a little cheese on each one and then place the baked potato bites back in the oven for another 10 minutes until they’re heated throughout.
Final Touches & Serve – Place a little slice of bacon on top of each one and then serve!
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- Creamy Dill Potatoes Recipe
- Chicken and Mashed Potato Bowls
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- The Easiest Scalloped Potatoes
Twice Baked Potato Bites Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb red potatoes, about 14-16 potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked and broken into 14 pieces (or as many pieces as you have potatoes)
- 4 Tbsp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 green onion, sliced (use the green part)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Gently scrub the potatoes and dry them. Prick each potato two or three times with a fork (to let steam escape as they cook).
- Toss the potatoes in oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Cool slightly.
- Reduce oven to 350°.
- Add the butter, sour cream, cream cheese, crumbled bacon, 2 Tbsp shredded cheese, milk and seasoned salt to a mixing bowl.
- Using a sharp pairing knife, slice the top off of each potato and using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out most of the potato and add it to the mixing bowl. Leave about ¼" of potato inside the skin to form a shell. This will keep the form of the potato.
- Using an electric hand mixer or potato masher, combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl. When the mixture is smooth, stir in the sliced green onions.
- Turn down the top of a quart-sized zip top plastic bag, and fill with the mashed potatoes. Snip one of the corners and squeeze the mashed potatoes into the scooped out shells.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbsp cheese and place in oven for 10 minutes to warm the potatoes throughout.
- Place a bacon piece on each Twice Baked Potato Bite and serve!