An easy appetizer for a crowd, these twice-baked potato bites are loaded with cheese, chives, and bacon. They’re simple to make and totally delicious!
Hosting friends and families in my home is one of my favorite things to do. Whether it’s for a game night, a holiday party, the Superbowl, etc., I love being surrounded by good friends and good food!
These delicious twice-baked potatoes are one of the things I shared with my family at our family BBQ last year for the 4th of July. I’ve made them so many times since then that they’ve become a favorite in our home! They are a filling appetizer or snack that is easy to make and easy to consume.
The surplus of melted cheese, bacon, and chives only add to their goodness. Here’s how to make them:
How To Make Baked Potato Bites
The Right Potatoes – For this recipe, you’ll want to use baby red potatoes (sometimes called red creamer potatoes) instead of regular red potatoes. You’ll want to make sure they’re small and bite-sized – about 1½” in diameter. If they’re any bigger, you’ll need to serve them with utensils, but any smaller makes the centers harder to scoop out.
Bake Them – Wash the potatoes and dry them with paper towels. Poke each potato a couple of times with a fork, then toss them in a little bit of olive oil. Line your potatoes on a baking sheet and then bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Prep Potatoes – Once the potatoes come out of the oven and are cool enough to handle, slice off the top of each potato and then scoop out most of the inside. Place the insides into a large bowl, and place the outside potatoes onto your baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
I use the smaller end of my melon baller to scoop the flesh out of the potatoes. It’s just the right size and makes quick work of it!
Tip – Leave about 25% of the potato inside the shell of the skin so the potato can still hold its shape.
The Filling – Mix together the insides of the potatoes with the other ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
Fill Them – Fill each potato bite with the delicious potato/ sour cream mixture. I think it’s easiest to fill the potato shells by scooping the mashed potatoes into a ziplock bag, snipping the corner, and squeezing it out. (It also looks pretty!)
Bake Again – Sprinkle a little cheese on each one and then place the baked potato bites back in the oven for another 10 minutes until they’re heated throughout.
Final Touches & Serve – Place each potato on your serving platter, add a little slice of bacon on top, and then serve!
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- Creamy Dill Potatoes Recipe
- Chicken and Mashed Potato Bowls
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- The Easiest Scalloped Potatoes
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Twice Baked Potato Bites Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb red potatoes, about 14-16 potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked and broken into 14 pieces (or as many pieces as you have potatoes)
- 4 Tbsp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 green onion, sliced (use the green part)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Gently scrub the potatoes and dry them. Prick each potato two or three times with a fork (to let steam escape as they cook).
- Toss the potatoes in oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Cool slightly.
- Reduce oven to 350°.
- Add the butter, sour cream, cream cheese, crumbled bacon, 2 Tbsp shredded cheese, milk and seasoned salt to a mixing bowl.
- Using a sharp pairing knife, slice the top off of each potato and using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out most of the potato and add it to the mixing bowl. Leave about ¼” of potato inside the skin to form a shell. This will keep the form of the potato.
- Using an electric hand mixer or potato masher, combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl. When the mixture is smooth, stir in the sliced green onions.
- Turn down the top of a quart-sized zip top plastic bag, and fill with the mashed potatoes. Snip one of the corners and squeeze the mashed potatoes into the scooped out shells.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbsp cheese and place in oven for 10 minutes to warm the potatoes throughout.
- Place a bacon piece on each Twice Baked Potato Bite and serve!