This delicious and savory chicken pot pie soup is the perfect dinner for a cold night! Loaded with hearty vegetables, chicken and mouth-watering seasoning, this homemade soup recipe is perfect all winter long.
A Hearty Homemade Soup
I don’t know about you, but I could eat soup for dinner every single night, and never get sick of it. My husband loves to tease me because I eat soup all year round, regardless of the weather. There’s something that’s so comforting about a big warm bowl of soup! It doesn’t hurt that it goes well with my other favorite food, fresh bread.
I make soup at least twice a week, year round, and my kids love it just as much as I do. We eat a wide variety of soups, from thin brothy soups to thick chowders and stews. I can’t say that I have a favorite kind of soup, but I tend to like the thick and hearty ones the best. This homemade chicken pot pie soup definitely satisfies those requirements and it’s also incredibly delicious and easy to make!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Prep – The first thing you need to do is prep your vegetables. Start by peeling and cutting the potatoes and onion. You’ll also want to chop your carrots into bite-sized pieces.
Simmer – Add the potatoes, carrots, onions and chicken broth into a large pot. Bring the pot to a simmer over medium heat. You’ll want to simmer the vegetables in chicken broth until they are tender. This usually takes about 15 minutes to before they’re the right texture.
The Roux – Next, you’ll need to make the roux to that will thicken the chicken pot pie soup. While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Do this over medium heat or the butter will burn quickly. Whisk in the flour until it has a paste-like texture to it. Then cook for about 3 minutes until it’s golden brown. You’ll slowly whisk in the milk and then continue to cook until it thickens.
Combine – Finally, you’ll pour the milk mixture into the large pot with the vegetables and stir everything until it has combined. Add the shredded chicken and frozen peas to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Once everything has been heated, add the salt, pepper and garlic powder to fit your taste.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easiest Baked Potato Soup
- Copycat Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Split Pea Soup Recipe
- Homemade Albondigas Soup
Now it’s time for you to make this savory, creamy soup that’s sure to be a favorite with the whole family! Leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought of this chicken pot pie soup. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you can get all of our latest recipes!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken, rotisserie works great
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and chicken broth to a large pot over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender and easily pierced by a fork (about 15 minutes).
- While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Cook 3-4 minutes, until golden. Slowly whisk in the milk, and cook until thickened.
- Pour the milk mixture into the vegetable pot and stir to combine. Add the chicken and frozen peas and cook 3-5 minutes, until heated through. Stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings, then serve hot.