If you are in the mood for something delicious, healthy, and filling, you will really enjoy this simple crock pot lentil soup. Filled with lentil beans, vegetables and a delicious blend of spices, this soup is a healthy comfort food recipe.
Slow cooker soup recipes like Chicken Noodle Soup, Homemade Albondigas and Chorizo and Black Bean Soup are some of my favorite meals because they are so easy to make and they’re hot whenever you’re ready to sit down for dinner.
I love to prepare this crock pot lentil soup in the afternoon and smell and the yummy aroma from as it cooks all day. It’s something delicious to look forward to that night.
Are Lentils Healthy?
Lentils are a great source of protein with about 3 grams of protein per tablespoon. They are also a good source of iron which is a great iron alternative if you’re on a vegetarian diet. Lentil beans are high in fiber and other essentials vitamins.
Tips When Making Lentil Soup
- To maximize the flavor of the soup, I cook the first few ingredients (onion, garlic, thyme, bacon, tomato sauce, porcini mushrooms) over the stove for about five minutes before adding them into the crock pot.
- Stir your lentil soup every 2-3 hours to keep the soup at the bottom from burning.
Let’s get cooking, shall we?!
How To Make Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- 2 medium onions minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil for serving, optional
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms soaked, rinsed and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 carrots chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 slices of bacon
- 12 ounces portobello mushroom caps gills removed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I used sliced bella mushrooms)
- 1 cup brown or green lentils 1 cup, rinsed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf not pictured
- 8 oz. Swiss chard leaves only I used collard greens
Stir both broths, bacon, carrots, fresh mushrooms, lentils and bay leaf into slow cooker.
Cook the onion, garlic, thyme, bacon, tomato sauce, Porcini mushrooms over the stove for about five minutes before adding them into the crock pot
Cover and cook on low until the soup is thickened and the lentils are tender, 9 to 11 hours. Or, cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours.
When the soup has about 30 minutes left to cook, remove the bacon and bay leaf, and add in the chopped Swiss chard (I used greens because my store was out of chard).
When the soup is done, season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle in a bit more olive oil.
Serve and enjoy! I served ours with toasted French bread, but a healthier option would be to skip it or use whole wheat.
Tools I Used To Make Lentil Soup
- I use an 8 quart Crock Pot slow cooker
- My favorite stainless steel Santoku knife for cutting vegetables
- A pot or frying pan to cook the first few ingredients (optional)
Items To Serve With Lentil Soup
- These delicious homemade dinner rolls are perfect for dipping in your soup
- A hot baked potato is a great side or you can pour your lentil soup over the top of it and enjoy it that way
- A grilled cheese sandwich with soup is my favorite comfort food
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Megan is a food and fitness lover and the author of the blog Honey We’re Healthy. Megan was a contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2013.
This post originally published on Somewhat Simple in November 2013.