These 30 minute dinner rolls are easy to make and are ready in no time! Made from scratch, they turn out light and fluffy every time and taste incredible!
These dinner rolls are a perfect compliment for almost any dinner. We love serving a warm batch of them with one of our favorite turkey recipes, meatloaf, or dipping one in a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup.
The Easiest Dinner Rolls
Nothing is better than homemade bread, am I right? As much as I love cooking dinner for my family, I’ve never been great at baking. I do fine with recipes where measurements aren’t important – a dash of this, a pinch of that – those are my jam. But baking? Those recipes have to be exact and I don’t do well with those.
Which is why making homemade bread has always been SUPER intimidating for me. Actually, all recipes with yeast intimidate me. (Too many failed attempts over the years or something.) But a few years ago, my friend mentioned a “fail-proof” dinner roll recipe that only take 30 minutes to make. She said they were super delicious, but more importantly, fast and easy.
I was hesitant, but intrigued, so I gave them a try. You guys, they are fantastic. I love them, my husband and kids love them. Our Thanksgiving guests loved them. (Yep. I even served them at Thanksgiving!!) These rolls kind of remind me of a Hawaiian Roll – more dough-y than fluffy, and sort of sweet too!
How To Make 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
Technically these dinner rolls take just over 30 minutes 35 minutes, to be exact) from start to finish. However, they result is a perfect batch of homemade dinner rolls that tastes just like you’d been slaving in the kitchen all day. Here’s the simple process of how to make them. Plus, if you’re more of a visual learner, there’s a step by step video as well.
Prep – Before you get started, set your oven to 400 degrees F, so it’s ready when you are.
Yeast Mixture – Throw the yeast, warm water, oil and sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer. Give it a good mix until everything has combined nicely. Then let it rest for 15 minutes before moving on to the next step.
Phase 2 Ingredients – Next, add the salt, egg and 2 cups of flour to yeast mixture in the mixing bowl. You’ll now want to mix everything together using the dough hook attachment.
More Flour – Once those ingredients have been fully mixed, continue mixing the dough while adding the additional 1 1/2 cups of flour. You’ll want to add 1/2 cup of flour at a time and let it fully mix in before adding the next half of a cup.
Roll It Out & Rest – Once everything has completely mixed together the dough should be pretty sticky and that’s completely fine. Roll the dough out into 12 equally-sized balls. Place them into a 9×13 baking pan and then let them rest for 10 minutes.
Bake – Place the dinner rolls in the oven and bake them for about 10 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- Size Matters – When making these dinner rolls be sure to roll the 12 balls of dough you place into your baking pan into equal sizes. This will ensure that they cook evenly. If you are not comfortable with “eye-balling” them, you can use a kitchen scale to measure out each one.
- My Bottoms Burned – If your rolls end up burning on the bottom, your baking pan may be too close to the heating element in your oven. Try raising the rack inside the one level up.
- The Best Toppings – After you’re done making these dinner rolls, be sure to top them with delicious whipped honey butter, blueberry butter or a seasonal pumpkin honey butter.
- Reheating – Let’s be honest, warm dinner rolls are the best! If you have a few leftover and want to reheat them later, it’s super simple. Just wrap the rolls in aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet. Heat them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F or until they’ve been heated throughout.
More Easy Dinner Roll Recipes
- Heart Shaped Dinner Rolls
- Famous Lion House Rolls
- Garlic Parmesan Dinner Rolls
- Pumpkin Crescent Rolls Recipe
- Thankful Thanksgiving Day Rolls
This recipe has become my go-to roll recipe (ok, it’s my only roll recipe!) and I am here to say that if I can make these, you can too! You can make them every day and have a delicious-smelling home all.the.time. Give them a shot and let me know what you thought in the comments below.
30 Minute Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the warm water, oil, yeast, and sugar. Let the mixture to sit for 15 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups of the flour with the salt and the egg into the yeast mixture using a dough hook.
- Continue mixing while adding the remaining 1½ cups flour, ½ cup at a time.
- Shape dough into 12 balls and place in a 9x13 pan.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.