Tender and light, with a delicious hint of pumpkin spice, this pumpkin roll recipe makes the perfect addition to any fall meal!
Now that it’s fall, I have wasted no time in immersing myself in fall baking! It was quite the hardship for me over the summer, when the house was so hot that I couldn’t bake. There are plenty of delicious no-bake desserts, of course, but for me breads, pastries, and cookies are where it’s at! These pumpkin dinner rolls are so soft and light, and they taste amazing with some whipped honey butter! They would be perfect as a side with some delicious fall soup, or even for your Thanksgiving table!
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Ingredients for the rolls –
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups flour
Directions to make the rolls –
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast in the warm water with a pinch of brown sugar. Let sit five minutes, until foamy.
- Add the remaining brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, egg, egg yolk, pumpkin puree, and 1/4 cup butter, and mix to combine. Stir in two cups of flour, and mix to combine. Add additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough comes together and is only slightly sticky to the touch. Knead 5-10 minutes, until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise one hour, or until doubled. When the dough has risen, gently punch the dough down and divide into two equal sized balls. Roll each ball out into a circle that is approximately 18 inches in diameter and spread with two tablespoons of the remaining butter.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into twelve equal sized wedges. Roll up, starting from the wide edge, into a crescent shape. Place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet, and repeat with remaining dough. Roll the second ball of dough out, and repeat the process. You should be able to fit all 24 rolls on one large baking sheet.
- Bake 15-17 minutes, or until the rolls are just golden on top.
I know a lot of people are intimidated by baking with yeast, but it’s really simple once you get the hang of it! The biggest mistake I made when I first started was to add too much flour to the dough. Just add a little at a time, until it’s soft and smooth and not overly sticky.
After the dough rises, you’ll divide it into two pieces and roll each piece out into a circle. Cut each circle into twelve wedges, then roll each wedge up into a crescent shape. I love seeing them all lined up on the baking sheet!
They come out of the oven golden brown and buttery, and so delicious. The pumpkin pie spice in the dough makes them smell amazing as they bake! My kids devoured these rolls with relish. They are definitely going to be a fall staple at our house!
For more soft and delicious dinner roll recipes, be sure to check out some of our favorites below:
Hack Your Routine!
5 Time-Saving Tips for Crazy Busy Moms