This savory and filling cheeseburger soup can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, and is the perfect make-ahead dinner for a busy night!
The days are getting cooler, and it’s time to savor those fall soups! Soup, as a category, is probably my favorite food. I love that there are so many different varieties! It’s basically impossible to be bored with soup. I eat soup all year round, but during the colder months, I plan on soup for dinner at least twice a week. It’s the perfect way to warm everyone up when it’s cold out, and it’s great for our budget, too. Most soup recipes make at least two dinners’ worth for my little family, and it’s so helpful to be able to put the extra soup in the freezer for another day.
This cheeseburger soup is a favorite at my house! It’s hearty and filling, but simple enough that even picky eaters like it. Both of my kids love it and will eat it without any complaints. Score one for mom!
Ingredients for the cheeseburger soup –
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 5-6 red potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions to make the cheeseburger soup –
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add the ground beef, potatoes, celery, carrots, and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Cover, turn the knob to seal, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release for ten minutes, then quick release.
- While the pressure is releasing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Slowly stir in the milk, a little at a time, while whisking constantly. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, then stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce mixture into the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook using the slow cooker function for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add the ground beef, potatoes, celery, carrots, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- During the last ten minutes of cooking time, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Slowly stir in the milk, a little at a time, while whisking constantly. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, then stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes.
The combination of flavors in this soup is fantastic! Using sharp cheddar really amps up the cheese flavor and makes it taste amazing.
I used red potatoes because that’s what I had on hand, but russet potatoes would also work well in this recipe. Feel free to add any other vegetables you like as well. This soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
For more hearty and filling soup recipes, check out some of our favorites below: