Crock Pot cheeseburger soup is full of the same savory flavors of a juicy cheeseburger but in a delicious soup. This recipe can be made using either a crock pot or an instant pot so it’s the perfect make-ahead dinner for a busy night!
An Easy Soup Recipe
The days are getting cooler, and it’s time to savor those fall soups! Soup, as a category, is probably my favorite food. I love that there are so many different varieties! It’s basically impossible to be bored with soup. I eat soup all year round, but during the colder months, I plan on soup for dinner at least twice a week.
It’s the perfect way to warm everyone up when it’s cold out, and it’s great for our budget, too. Most soup recipes make at least two dinners’ worth for my little family, and it’s so helpful to be able to put the extra soup in the freezer for another day.
This cheeseburger soup is a favorite at my house and can be made in either a slow cooker or an instant pot! Filled with potatoes and vegetables, it’s hearty and filling, but simple enough that even picky eaters like it. Both of my kids love it and will eat it without any complaints. Score one for mom!
How To Make Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
This easy recipe can be made using either a crock pot or an instant pot. I have included directions for both ways below so you can make them using your preferred method.
In The Crock Pot
Prep – Wash and chop the carrots, potatoes and celery and then place them in the slow cooker. Next, add in the pound of ground beef and chicken broth.
Cook – Cover the Crock pot and then cook on low heat for about 6-8 hours.
Sauce – When it’s about done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat so it’s doesn’t burn. Stir in the flour and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes until it’s brown. Slowly whisk in the milk to add to the flour mixture. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until it has thickened.
Final Touches – Remove it from the heat and then add in the garlic powder, cheese, salt and pepper and mix until it has blended in. Pour the sauce back into the slow cooker and then cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve the cheeseburger soup nice and hot.
In The Instant Pot
Prep – Wash and cut the vegetables and place them in the pressure cooker. Add in the ground beef and broth as well.
Cook – Place the lid on the instant pot and then turn the knob to seal it. Cook the ingredients on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release for about 10 minutes and then quick release the rest.
Sauce – While the main ingredients are cooking in the instant pot, make the sauce per the instructions above.
Final Steps – Pour the sauce mixture with cheese into the pressure cooker and give everything a good stir until it has mixed together. Cook everything for about 15-20 minutes on the slow cooker setting. Then serve and enjoy!
Items Used In This Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- We have a large family so I used an 8 quart Crock Pot when making this soup. Any slow cooker works great but I have had a Crock Pot brand for years and absolutely love it!
- Last year I bought my first pressure cooker and it has been amazing! I love and use an Instant Pot brand pressure cooker but any brand should do a great job.
Tips For Making Cheeseburger Soup
The combination of flavors in this soup is fantastic! Here are a couple of tips to consider when making this soup that will bring out the best flavor.
- Using a sharp cheddar really amps up the cheese flavor and makes it taste amazing
- I use red potatoes because they have a better flavor that russet potatoes
- If you’re going to add bacon to your soup, don’t add in raw bacon at the beginning. Cook it separately and then add it in to the soup about 15 minutes before you serve it for the best flavor.
- Feel free to add any other vegetables you like as well. This soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
More Easy Soup Recipes
For more hearty and filling soup recipes, here are a few more we think you will love:
- Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Easy Homemade Albondigas Soup
- Southwest Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Homemade Baked Potato Soup
Did you use the slow cooker or the instant pot to make this recipe? Leave us a comment below and let us know if you love this cheeseburger soup recipe as much as we did. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you can get all of our latest recipes sent straight to your inbox.
Easy Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 5-6 red potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add the ground beef, potatoes, celery, carrots, and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Cover, turn the knob to seal, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release for ten minutes, then quick release.
- While the pressure is releasing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Slowly stir in the milk, a little at a time, while whisking constantly. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, then stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce mixture into the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook using the slow cooker function for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add the ground beef, potatoes, celery, carrots, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- During the last ten minutes of cooking time, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Slowly stir in the milk, a little at a time, while whisking constantly. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, then stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes.