This Instant Pot ham recipe is a quick and easy way to cook ham without having to wait hours for it to bake. Now you can enjoy a delicious ham dinner any night in a fraction of the time! After it’s done cooking the pressure cooker, top it with a mouth watering brown sugar glaze and it’s ready to eat.
Pressure Cooker Ham With Brown Sugar Glaze
If you’ve ever hosted for the holidays, you know how crazy preparing the food can be! Trying to get everything cooked, figuring out the order of when to bake everything, what time to start cooking… it can be such a headache!
To help alleviate some of the stress we wanted to show you how to enjoy this classic holiday dish in a fraction of the time using an Instant Pot pressure cooker. And guess what? After you make your ham this way, you’ll never go back to baking it in the oven. This ham turned out so freaking good and it took less than an hour from start to finish !
How amazing does this ham look?! And better yet- it tastes just as incredible! But what makes this ham taste even more delicious is the fact that it didn’t take several hours to make. Which means you don’t have to wait until the holidays to make a delicious, flavor-packed ham!
How To Cook Ham In An Instant Pot
- Pour the water into the bottom of your pressure cooker and place the ham inside with the cut/sliced side facing down.
- Mix all of your glaze ingredients in a small mixing bowl and then pour it over the ham.
- Close and secure your Instant Pot lid. Make sure the steam or pressure valve is closed.
- Cook on manual mode for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, move the pressure valve to release the steam taking care that it’s pointed away from you so you don’t burn yourself.
- After all the pressure has been released, let the ham sit in the pressure for at least 10 minutes
- Remove the ham carefully
- Set your Instant Pot to saute
- Stir the juices inside the pressure cooker until it becomes slightly thicker
- Pour the glaze into a serving pitcher or gravy bowl
- Cut the ham into slices and serve with the glaze
Tips For Making Ham In A Pressure Cooker
- I like to use the larger 8 quart Instant Pot so that I can fit a larger ham inside. My ham was 9 pounds and it was a snug fit so a 7-8 pound ham should be perfect
- If you are using a 6 quart pressure cooker, I would recommend using a ham that is 5-6 pounds
- My ham filled the pressure cooker and it was difficult to get out using just forks so I ended up using a pair of meat claws to get the ham out
Can You Freeze Ham
Yes, once the ham has been fully cooked, you can freeze it for about two months. Simply place it in an airtight container, I like to use large Ziploc freezer bags, and stick it in the freezer until you’re ready to use it. When you’re ready to eat it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Leftover Ham Recipes
Every time I cook a ham, there always seems to be a lot left over after dinner. Instead of putting in a bag and leaving it in the fridge for a few days and then tossing it out when no one eats it, here are some of my favorite recipes to make with your leftovers.
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Split Pea Soup
- Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Instant Pot Ham Recipe
Now that you know how to make a ham in a pressure cooker, it’s time to give it a shot. If you’re still a little nervous, don’t worry, there’s a video below that will walk you through it. Let us know in the comments below how it turned out and any other delicious recipes you made with any leftovers!
Instant Pot Ham Recipe
This Instant Pot ham recipe is a quick and easy way to cook ham without having to wait hours for it to bake. Topped with a mouth watering brown sugar glaze this recipe is delicious and simple to make.
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 9 lb Bone-In Ham
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
Pour the water into the bottom of your Instant Pot and place the ham inside with the cut/sliced side facing down.
Mix all of your glaze ingredients in a bowl, then pour over the ham.
Close and secure your Instant Pot lid and make sure the steam/pressure valve is closed.
Cook on manual for 10 minutes at high pressure.
Once the timer goes off, move the pressure valve to release the steam taking care not to burn yourself.
After all the pressure is released, let the ham sit in the pot for at least 10 minutes
Remove the ham carefully
Set your Instant Pot to saute
Stir the juices inside the pot until slightly thicker.
Pour the glaze into a serving pitcher or gravy bowl.
Cut into slices and serve with the glaze.
The weight of the ham will depend on your pot. We used an 8 qt Instant Pot and bought a 9 lb ham. It fit snugly, but you could always trim it down if needed.