This Monte Cristo sandwich is a quick and easy meal that will leave your taste buds wanting more! Soft bread filled with delicious meats and cheeses, dipped in a mixture of eggs and milk, then cooked to a golden brown. This “French Toast” sandwich is one of my family’s very favorite dinners!
We usually have breakfast for dinner once a week – Best Homemade Pancakes Recipe, Chocolate Chip Waffles, Ham and Cheese Quiche, etc. Not only are these meals super tasty, they are also easy to make and don’t take a lot of time. This Monte Cristo sandwich just might be my favorite breakfast food… EVER!
Best Monte Cristo Sandwich
I didn’t discover the delicious taste of a Monte Cristo sandwich until I had been married for about 5 years and I saw Rachel Ray make one – where had this been my whole life?! (And should I blame my parents for this? I think I should.) Simple, crispy, warm deliciousness- these sandwiches are so tasty!
The last step Rachel showed was to dip your sandwich into maple syrup, or drizzle it over the top. This sounded so weird that it almost didn’t happen in my home – maple syrup on a grilled sandwich??? I gave it a shot anyway and oh.my.goodness. This was actually SO GOOD!
Recently my husband and I went with some friends to Disneyland for an adults only trip. I’ve hear a lot of people say they make the best Monte Cristo, so while we were there, I had to stop and try it. We had lunch at the Cafe Orleans (you can also order it at the Blue Bayou) and the sandwich was amazing! The portions were HUGE, so I would definitely recommend splitting it with someone because there was no way I could eat everything.
When you order this sandwich at Disneyland they serve it with a side of fresh jam as well, which is another delicious way to add EVEN MORE flavor to this already amazing dish! They also had a three cheese version on the menu as well, so if you can’t eat meat, there’s another version that’s just as delicious!
What Is In A Monte Cristo Sandwich
Like any other sandwich, you can build a Monte Cristo to your liking with endless options! Start with some thick slices of bread, my favorite is Texas toast. For the egg mixture you will need eggs, milk, pepper and nutmeg. The inside of a Monte Cristo has a little dijon mustard and is packed full of meats and cheeses – sliced turkey, ham, crispy bacon and Swiss cheese. You can serve it sprinkled with powdered sugar, drizzled with maple syrup or leave the syrup on the side with some raspberry jam for dipping. Any way you slice it, this sandwich is sure to please!
How to Make a Monte Cristo Sandwich
Making a Monte Cristo is as easy as making french toast, but you build a yummy sandwich out of the dipped bread.
- Heat griddle or frying pan over medium heat
- Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray
- Beat the eggs with milk, nutmeg and pepper
- Turn 2 slices bread in batter and then add to the griddle or pan
- Flip the bread after it browns which will take about 2 to 3 minutes
Top bread slices with mustard. Add cheese, bacon, ham, and turkey
Cover with another piece of browned bread to make sandwich
Keep flipping and browning like you would french toast until meat is heated and cheese is melted
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and and drizzle syrup over the top or serve with a side of Homemade Syrup for dipping
How To Store Leftover Sandwiches
These sandwiches are super easy to store and eat later. I like to make an extra batch of them so the kids have another breakfast option in the mornings before school. Whether you make extras, or have any leftovers, simply place them into Ziploc bags and either keep them in the refrigerator or freezer. They’ll stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, so if you don’t plan on eating them before then, stick them in the freezer until you’re ready to eat them.
More Easy Ham Recipes
This recipe is a perfect way to use up any ham you may have leftover after a holiday meal. Here are some of my other favorite ham recipes to try.
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Split Pea Soup With Ham
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Instant Pot Ham
- Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches
Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
Leave us a comment below and let us know how much you liked pouring syrup all over these sandwiches. Or if you happen to visit Disneyland, take a picture of you enjoying these and tag us on social media so we can see all of the fun you’re having!
Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- 8 thick cut slices of bread
- 1/2 cup brown mustard
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup, warm
- powdered sugar, optional
- raspberry jam, optional
- Heat griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat eggs with milk, nutmeg and pepper.
- Turn 2 slices bread in batter, then add to griddle or pan.
- Flip bread after it browns, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top bread slices with mustard. Add cheese, bacon, ham, then turkey.
- Cover with another piece of browned bread to make sandwich.
- Keep flipping and browning like you would french toast until meat is heated and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and and drizzle syrup over the top or serve with a side of syrup for dipping.
The recipe was originally published on Somewhat Simple in July 2009