Homemade Buttermilk Syrup is a warm, creamy topping PERFECT for drizzling over your favorite breakfast foods or over an ice cream sundae!
Years ago my aunt introduced me to the most delicious syrup I’ve ever had. I thought for sure the recipe would be crazy hard or take forever. Can you imagine my excitement when I learned it takes just a few ingredients and only 5 minutes of your time? Game.Changer.
I like to kick it up a notch by adding a pinch of cinnamon to my syrup, but either way this stuff is AMAZING!
How to Make Buttermilk Syrup –
This simple syrup recipe starts by bringing some butter, buttermilk, sugar and cinnamon (optional) to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. It will foam up and then settle. Serve warm over your favorite breakfast foods.
Homemade Syrup Tips –
- Your syrup will foam up, so use at least a medium sized saucepan so it doesn’t spill over the sides.
- Mix the ingredients in a non-stick pan.
- This syrup is best served warm.
- Store any extras in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Heat in the microwave before serving again.
Drizzle Your Buttermilk Syrup on our Favorite Pancake Recipe –
What Else to Serve Buttermilk Syrup on –
- German Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Pumpkin Crepes
- Apple Spice French Toast Bites
- Banana Ice Cream
The Best Buttermilk Syrup Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon, optional
- In a medium non-stick pan, bring the butter, buttermilk, sugar and cinnamon to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda.
- Serve warm over your favorite breakfast foods.
I hope you LOVE this recipe!