These fluffy and crisp chocolate chip waffles are the perfect sweet treat to make breakfast extra special! They’re simple to make and so delicious!
Best Chocolate Chip Waffles
If my kids had to choose a favorite breakfast, I think they would choose waffles every time! They are our favorite special occasion breakfast (because I’m way too lazy and exhausted to make them on weekday mornings before school), and the kids love pretty much every variation. We’ve tried blueberry waffles, pink velvet waffles, gingerbread waffles – you name it! They’re all delicious. Somehow everything is better if it’s cooked in a waffle iron!
These chocolate chip waffles are one of our top favorites. They’re light and fluffy, and have the perfect amount of gooey chocolate in every bite!
Tools Used To Make These Waffles
- I love using a double waffle maker for our big family
- A double waffle maker
- My favorite kitchen knife for slicing fruit
How To Make Chocolate Chip Waffles
This waffle recipe is super easy to make. Just follow these simple steps.
- Add the butter and milk into a small microwave safe bowl
- Heat them in the microwave for one minute and thirty seconds, or until the butter has completely melted
- Whisk in the vanilla and then set the bowl aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are fluffy
- Add the milk and butter mixture and then stir until they’re combined
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and mix until just combined (small lumps in the batter are ok)
- Let the batter sit five minutes
- While the batter is resting, preheat your waffle iron.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron.
- Cook according to your waffle maker’s directions. (For my belgian waffle maker, 1 cup of batter cooked for 4 minutes was perfect.)
Tips For Making Chocolate Chip Waffles
The Best Waffle Maker – This chocolate chip waffle recipe is so simple, and so delicious too! You are welcome to use any kind of waffle maker, but I especially love to make these in my Belgian waffle maker. They come out so thick and crisp, while still light and tender on the inside.
Keep Them Crispy – One of my favorite tips for keeping waffles crisp is to put them on a cooling rack as soon as they come out of the waffle iron. It allows the air to circulate, so they stay crisp on the outside instead of getting soggy on a plate.
Best Toppings For Chocolate Chip Waffles
We love to top our chocolate chip waffles with fresh sliced bananas, chocolate chips, and maple syrup. The combination of sweet banana and melted chocolate is super delicious. These waffles are one of our favorite breakfasts!
- Strawberries, bananas, blueberries or other seasonal fruit
- Homemade maple or buttermilk syrup
- Whipped cream
- Who doesn’t love more chocolate chips!
Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Waffles
You absolutely can freeze these! These are my kids favorite thing to eat for breakfast but there is no way you’re going to get me to make them every morning. Every time I make these, I’ll actually make double or triple the recipe so I have plenty of extras to freeze for later.
Simply wait until the waffles have completely cooled before putting them into 1 gallon freezer bags. This way no condensation will form inside the bag which will cause ice to form inside the bag. These should keep in the freezer for about 2 – 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, just warm them up in the toaster or microwave.
More Waffle Recipes You’ll Love
Other Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Chocolate Chip Waffle Recipe
You’re going to love just how easy this Belgian waffle recipe is and your family is going to love the addition of chocolate chips to their waffles for breakfast! Leave us a comment below and let us know how much everyone loved these or tag us on social media because we always love to see what you’re cooking up in the kitchen!
Chocolate Chip Waffles
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Add the butter and milk to a small bowl or measuring cup, and heat in the microwave for one minute and thirty seconds, or until the butter is melted.
- Whisk in the vanilla and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Add the milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and mix until just combined (small lumps are ok). Let sit five minutes.
- While the batter is resting, preheat your waffle iron. Stir in the chocolate chips, then pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron, and cook according to your waffle maker's directions. (For my belgian waffle maker, 1 cup of batter cooked for 4 minutes was perfect.)