Chicken taquitos have all the flavors of your favorite Mexican dish rolled up into one tasty, crispy tortilla roll!
A Mexican Classic
These homemade chicken taquitos are pretty much your standard delicious Mexican meal – tortillas, cheese, salsa and whatever else sounds good! The original recipe I found years ago calls these delicious taquitos “Crispy Tortilla Rolls”. Feel free to call them what you will- they are YUMMY, and they couldn’t be any easier to make!
My kids love these, I typically make a large batch of them and serve them for dinner. However, you can also make a batch of these and serve them at a party or during the Big Game. They’re so easy to make, you can quickly make a large batch of these for any occasion. They only take a couple minutes to cook, so they’ll be ready in no time.
How to Make Chicken Taquitos
Prep – You’ll first want to warm your tortillas in the microwave for about a minute. This makes them easier to fold after they’ve been prepped. Or you can make Homemade Tortillas so they’re nice and fresh. Take the tortillas and fill each one with salsa, shredded chicken and cheese.
Customize – You can also add any additional ingredients that you like as well. My son loves buffalo sauce, so I’ll usually drizzle a little of that in a few of them as well.
Roll’em Up – Roll the tortilla up nice and tightly, secure with a toothpick, and set aside.
Fry Them – To fry the taquitos, heat some oil in a skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add about 3 chicken taquitos at a time (depending on what fits best in your pan) and cook until they’re golden brown on all sides. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
More Easy Mexican Recipes
- The Best Tamale Pie
- Mexican Horchata Recipe
- Green Chili Enchiladas
- Baked Enchilada Style Burritos
- Simple Spanish Rice Recipe
After you’ve had a chance to make this delicious homemade chicken taquitos recipe, leave us a comment below and let us know. Don’t forget to follow us on social media so you can stay up to date with all of our latest recipes.
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 16 corn tortillas or 10 flour tortillas
- 1 jar of salsa, for inside your taquitos and to serve as a topping
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- vegetable oil
- taco toppings: sour cream, avocados, tomatoes, olives, lettuce etc.
- Warm the tortillas by placing the entire stack on a plate in the microwave and heating them for about a minute. (This just makes them easier to fold so they aren't as stiff.)
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon salsa, 2 tablespoons of chicken, and 2 tablespoons cheese. (Those are approximate measurements- if you want more of any ingredient, adjust to your liking!)
- Roll up the tortillas and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add about 3 tortilla rolls at a time (depending on what fits best in your pan and cook until they're golden brown on all sides.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
This post originally published in January 2013.