These Green chili chicken enchiladas made with sour cream are one of my family’s very favorite dinners! They are easy to make and use just a few ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
To round out your Mexican feast, serve these delicious enchiladas with a side of Spanish Rice, a bowl of warm tortilla chips with my famous Homemade Salsa and wash it all down with a tall pitcher of Horchata to drink.
Easy Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
My husband’s favorite homemade meal are these Easy Chicken Enchiladas in red sauce. Anytime I ask him for meal suggestions for the week, this is what he picks. I’ve been making his favorite enchilada recipe since we were first married, and while I do definitely enjoy them, all 5 kids and I agree that these Green Chicken Enchiladas are even better than my husband’s favorite red ones.
These EASY green chili chicken enchiladas are creamy and delicious.
I was just looking for more descriptive words to use in that sentence, so I asked my 15 and 10 year old to describe them-
“Yummy” sad Ryan.
“Better than red” said Ethan.
Enough said… I guess!
How to Make Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
Prep – To make these easy green chili chicken enchiladas, you’ll start by shredding some cooked chicken breasts. Next, you’ll mix the chicken with the green sauce, sour cream, and some cheese. Exact measurements on these ingredients is entirely up to you! Do you like your enchiladas extra cheesy? Go for it! Want to drown your tortillas in the delicious enchilada sauce? No judging here!
Compile The Enchiladas – Once your chicken mixture is made, you’ll put a few heaping spoonfuls of it onto the center of each tortilla, roll it up and place it in your baking dish. I can get 8-10 enchiladas in each 9×13 casserole pan. Spread some of the green enchilada sauce over the bottom of the pan before placing the enchiladas inside. It’ll keep them from burning on the bottom.
Bake – Cover the rolled enchiladas with more sauce, sprinkle with some cheese, and you’re good to pop them in the oven! And since everything you’ve used is already cooked, you just need to bake your enchiladas to heat them up and melt the cheese. This usually takes about 20 minutes.
Tip For Making Green Chili Enchiladas
The Best Green Sauce – I definitely have my favorite homemade green enchilada sauce recipe, but if you don’t have time to try it, store-bought enchilada sauce is a great option.
Over the years, I’ve experimented with plenty of the brands that you see at the grocery store, and so many of the red sauces are thin and bitter, while the green are too bland or too spicy.
The brands I love for each enchilada sauce are pictured below. I’ve been using them both for years now, and I will NOT try any other brands anymore! (Once you find a favorite – stick to it!)
Green Chili Enchilada Ingredients
Not only do these enchiladas taste amazing but they are made with with only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have. You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Tortillas – For an extra treat, these Homemade Tortillas are to die for!
- 2 Chicken breasts
- Shredded cheese
- Green enchilada sauce
- Sour cream
- Your favorite enchilada toppings
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe
If you have 15 extra minutes and you want to try your hand at the best green enchilada sauce known to man, give our Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce recipe a try! It is easy to make and super delicious!!!!
More Easy Enchilada Recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Enchilada Style Bean Burritos
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Puffs
- Easy Breakfast Enchiladas
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Recipe
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 Soft Taco Sized Tortillas
- 2 Breasts of Chicken, cooked and shredded. (I boil my chicken straight out of the freezer)
- Shredded Cheese- Cheddar or Mexican blend
- Green Enchilada Sauce- I buy the La Victoria Brand
- Sour Cream, 1-2 cups
- Toppings: Sliced olives, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Spread some sauce over the entire bottom of a 13 x 9 casserole pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, 2/3 of the can of sauce, about a cup of sour cream (give or take depending on how creamy you want them) and 2 cups of cheese.
- Fill each tortilla with the chicken/cheese mixture and roll up like a burrito.
- Place each filled tortilla side by side in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce on the top of the tortillas- cover them completely.
- Sprinkle with cheese- as much as you would like!
- Cook uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with desired toppings & enjoy!