Homemade tostadas are easy to make and are a nice alternative to a standard taco. This simple recipe is so good, you’ll never make them any other way again!
For a fun flavor twist on this classic tostada recipe, be sure to try our Honey Lime Chicken Toastadas!
These homemade tostadas are the perfect Cinco de Mayo celebration food! You may be thinking that you don’t need a recipe for tostadas, but you do. And this is it.
There is nothing tricky or fancy in this tostada recipe, just basic ingredients done right. The two elevating ingredients for this tostada recipe are homemade refried beans with a hint of garlic and bacon, and a delicious red enchilada sauce that will knock your socks off!
These refried beans are super simple to make! They require just a little more work than cracking open a can and a little more of your time, but most of the time is spent waiting, not slaving over a hot stove. (And the flavors of these beans are worth the effort – FOR SURE!)
Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
This lovely red homemade enchilada sauce will become your new best friend when you are crafting tostadas, enchiladas, burritos, carnitas, or taquitos. It gives your dish a fancy, gourmet touch that is sure to get five-star reviews! (Please refrain from drinking it straight from the food processor!)
I have such confidence in this tostada recipe’s ability to please that I even made them for my sister-in-law’s family the night before she married my brother. I was cooking for strangers, soon-to-be family, that I had to impress, so I fell back on one of my absolute favorites!
Here is how to make them –
- tostada shells or corn tortillas – I always use storebought shells, but you can make your own tostada shells if you’d like! (I’ve made homemade tortillas, but never homemade tostada shells – I should try it!)
- refried beans
- meat – you could use ground beef or ground turkey seasoned with taco seasoning, but I prefer the shredded chicken or shredded pork shoulder
- vegetables –
- shredded lettuce (romaine or iceberg lettuce)
- white onion
- bell peppers
- sauces –
- red enchilada sauce
- sour cream
- lime juice
- salsa/ pico de gallo
- hot sauce
- queso fresco
- other toppings –
- Spanish rice
- shredded cheddar cheese or grated cotija cheese
How to Build A Tostada
- Prep your ingredients: Chop and dice your toppings, and heat up your meat, beans, and enchilada sauce.
- Prep your shells: Heat up your tostada shells by placing them on a baking sheet a putting them in the oven for a few minutes. You can brush them with olive oil or cooking spray before baking for the perfect crispness, or sprinkle some cheese for some melty goodness! Just be sure to watch them carefully as they will start to burn FAST! Cover the shells with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel until you are ready to add the toppings to them.
- Build Your Tostada: Top your tostada shell with a single layer of your favorite toppings, starting with a layer of refried beans + sauce, then the meat, lettuce, guacamole or diced avocado, sour cream, salsa, a sprinkle of cheese, etc.
- Eat and enjoy!
LEFTOVER CHICKEN TOSTADAS – Any extra beans and sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can freeze your enchilada sauce if you put it in a freezer bag. It will last up to 6 months.
Here are a few more recipes we think you’ll love –
Here is a printable recipe card for your convenience –
Easy Homemade Tostadas
- Build upon your tostada shell, layer by layer of the ingredients of your choice, starting with the beans + sauce, then the meat, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream and cheese.
- Eat and enjoy!