This chicken pizzaiola recipe has all the flavors of a classic Chicken Parmesan dish, but instead of baking breasts in the oven, you pan fry the chicken on the stove. My husband is not a lover of many Italian dishes (blasphemy, I know!) but loves this one. Here is the recipe I made tonight- it only took about 15 minutes from start to finish!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 1 jar of Spaghetti sauce, approximately 3 cups
- 2 ounces of sliced pepperoni (I buy the pre-cooked slices to save time)
- 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese
- vegetable oil, 2 tbsp, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan
- Pour vegetable oil on bottom of pan. Heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, roll chicken in bread crumbs to coat both sides. When oil is hot enough, place chicken into the pan of oil. (Hint: You can tell if the oil is ready by getting your fingers wet in water then flicking them at the pan of oil- if the oil splatters when the water mixes with it, its hot enough. If not, let it get hotter.)
- Cook chicken for several minutes on each side until golden brown and not pink in the center.
- Place 2-3 slices of pepperoni on each chicken breast and let it sit for about a minute to heat through.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over the top of the chicken then sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Cover the pan and continue cooking ’til cheese is melted.
Serve over your favorite pasta with some steamed veggies and garlic bread.