These black bean burgers are savory and delicious veggie burgers that are so quick and easy to make. They’re perfect for a light dinner or lunch!
Is anyone else struggling to get back on the healthy eating wagon after all the indulgent holiday treats? With the new year, I am recommitting myself to healthy eating, and these black bean cheeseburgers are a great place to start.
They’re super quick and easy to make, ready in about twenty minutes, and the flavor is so delicious – the whole family will love them!
Here’s how to make the best black bean burgers –
How to Make Black Bean Burgers
- BEANS – I use 1 can of refried black beans
- FOR THE PATTIES – egg, bread crumbs, shredded cheese
- SEASONINGS – garlic powder, 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (or 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon chili powder), salt and pepper
- SAUCE – 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha (more or less to taste)
- OIL – I like to use olive oil, but any frying oil will work
- TOPPINGS – I like sliced cheese, lettuce, and ranch dressing. You can add ketchup, mustard, tomato, onion, mayo, BBQ sauce, etc. Whatever your favorite toppings are – use them!
- BUNS – homemade or storebought hamburger buns
You’ll start by adding some refried black beans, egg, bread crumbs, seasonings, and shredded cheese to a large bowl. Fold gently, mixing to combine.
Form the mixture into patties and fry them in a pan on the stove or skillet with a little olive oil on medium-high heat until crisp.
After the first side is cooked, flip the patties over and add the sliced cheese. I suppose if you wanted them to be a little healthier, you could leave out the cheese, but I love cheese too much to ever leave it out. 🙂
I topped my burgers with a little lettuce tossed with ranch dressing, and voila! A healthy and delicious meal that my whole family loved!
STORAGE INFO –
- Store cooked patties in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To freeze, wrap cooked patties individually in plastic wrap, then place in plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months. To use, thaw and microwave until heated through.
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Nutritional information, including calories, dietary fiber and proteins are just an estimate and will vary.
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, or 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha, more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup cheese, I used a shredded Mexican blend
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices cheese
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 teaspoon ranch dressing
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, mix together the refried beans, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, Sriracha, and shredded cheese.
- Form the mixture into four equal sized patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the patties to the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes on one side, or until crisp.
- Flip the patties and add the sliced cheese to the top. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until crisp.
- Toss the lettuce with the ranch dressing. Serve the burgers hot on buns, topped with lettuce.
For more healthy and delicious recipes, check out some of these favorites from my blog: