Enjoy all of the flavors you love from a stuffed bell pepper, without all the time it takes to make them! This stuffed pepper casserole is an easy recipe you can whip up in about 30 minutes!
I love to serve this bell pepper casserole with a side of delicious roasted vegetables, a batch of warm homemade dinner rolls or a spinach salad to complete the meal.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This easy casserole will give you all of the delicious flavors of a stuffed pepper dish without having to spend all day in the kitchen! It’s easier to make than regular stuffed peppers, AND it’s so much easier to eat too! You don’t have to figure out how to eat through the tough pepper skin and get an even distribution of the filling! This casserole has all the same great tastes without all the hassle!
How To Make A Bell Pepper Casserole
Prepare The Vegetables – Dice the bell peppers and onions and then add them to a large saute pan along with the olive oil and garlic. Cook these over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to get soft. Be sure to stir it frequently to keep it from burning.
Brown The Meat – Add the ground beef to the vegetables and cook until the meat has cooked through. Once the meat has cooked, drain the grease from the pan.
Assemble The Casserole – Stir together the rice, Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, salt and cheese and then pour it into a large baking pan. Add an additional half a cup of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle it over the top of the casserole.
Bake – Cover the pepper casserole with foil and cook it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese turns golden brown on top.
Items Used To Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Your favorite baking pan – I love my CorningWare set
- My favorite knife for dicing vegetables
- Large saute pan to cook the vegetables
Make Ahead Freezer Meal
Freezing – You can definitely make this meal ahead of time and store it in the freezer to eat later. If you’re going to do this, I recommend assembling the casserole in a disposable baking dish. First wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then cover it with aluminum foil. I recommend eating the casserole within three months of making it.
Reheating – To thaw, place the stuffed pepper casserole in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it according to the direction above. Depending on how long it had a chance to defrost, you may need to add a few minutes to the cook time. Just make sure the casserole has been heated throughout before serving.
Other Easy Casserole Recipes
- This Chicken Fettuccine Casserole is one of our family’s favorites
- I love this Sausage Pepper Breakfast Casserole is perfect for breakfast
- This Chili Cornbread Casserole is delicious and easy to make
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole is simple and delicious
- Unstuffed Pasta Shells is an easy Mexican dish
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Recipe
If you love stuffed bell peppers, this is a recipe you have to try. Leave us a comment below and let us know how you liked it. We also love seeing what you’re making in the kitchen, so the next time you make this casserole, tag us on social media.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef, or ground turkey
- 1 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, add your olive oil, diced pepper, diced onion and minced garlic over medium high heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies just start to get soft, stirring often.
- Add in your ground meat and cook until the meat is cooked through. Drain grease out of your pan.
- Add in your Italian seasoning, salt, tomato sauce, rice and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese stir together.
- Pour everything into a large baking dish and top with additional 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in oven for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or so until cheese turns golden.
A delicious meal for a perfect family party!!!
I was stuffing banana peppers with sausage and had a bunch of peppers that were to small so I used this recipe with a mixture of hot and sweet banana peppers instead of bell peppers and sausage instead of beef. It turned out great. Thanks for the idea. I’m sure I’ll do it with bell peppers and burger some day also.
Oh yum! I love banana peppers – I should try your method!!!
This is definitely a must-make!! Looks SO good!
This looks like an amazing dinner!
Such a yummy weeknight dinner! Making soon!
I made this for my family and they really enjoyed it. Thanks for the great recipe.
You’re welcome…so happy to hear it was a hit!
Love how filling this dinner is! My whole family loves it.
Such a great idea to double it and freeze half. That’ll help get dinner on the table on a busy weeknight.
I was looking for a casserole that was like stuffed bell peppers because I had a limited supply of peppers to create original stuffed peppers for my son and his family.
This recipe was a big hit. I did add 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and did a 1 and a half cups combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. It is definately a keeper! Thanks for the recipe.
I’m so glad you loved the recipe. It’s one of my favorites!
Sounds yummy…a perfect fall/winter meal. Can wait to try it.
It’s really delicious! Let me know how it turns out when you try it. Thanks for stopping by!